Hiding a folder?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul D Young, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition.

I keep a lot of files in one folder that I would prefer others not to have access to. Is there a way to hide this one folder from all users so only I know it is there?

Or, is there a way to ensure that the items in this folder do not appear in a search when other family members use the "find" function?

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Not sure about 98SE, but in XP you can set the folder attribute to "hidden" (right-click and select properties). Making it hidden keeps it from coming up on searches, too.
    You shouldn't be looking at those kinds of pictures... [​IMG]

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, right click the folder, then press properties. Then check off the HIDDEN property. Then go into the VIEW menu, and click FOLDER OPTIONS. Then clikc on 'hide hidden files' or something of that nature.
    Anybody take a guess what kind of 'files' these are? :p) Just jokin wit ya.. We've all been there! [​IMG]

4. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Thanks for the replies. I tried this solution and it solves the problems I described. I'd tell you what's in there but then I'd have to kill you. [​IMG]
    It adds a new problem however of how do I access this folder easily or save things to it? Do I have to go into the menus and choose show hidden files and then go back in to hide them again every time?

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

What's the point of this? I mean hide them, yes...but why hide it when you can see it right there on the desktop?!

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

7. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Perhaps the easiest way to achieve what you want is to use personalised profiles.

If you set up a profile for yourself, you can leave the 'Show All Files' set to on. Anybody else who uses the machine (either with another profile or by clicking 'cancel' at the login promp) will not have the same setting enabled by default.

Of course it wont stop anybody going on any changing that setting for themselves, but it's about as as secure as Windows 9x gets unfortunately.

9. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Perhaps a better solution is to create a compressed archive holding your files and then password protect it. That way nobody who doesn't know the password can gain access to it. Hidden files after all CAN be easily searched for by anyone who has a clue.
    You can still hide the archive file, or even just give it a seemingly mundane name (like config.bak) or the like, and hide it out in the open right at the root of C.
    Remember to either set your computer up not to record what documents you've opened, or always remember to delete those shortcuts as well.
    Wouldn't want the wife seeing that hotcindylapdance.avi file in the Recent Documents folder. [​IMG]