hidden speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by luke_ha, Aug 30, 2004.

1. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

ok now i do have a question, dad wants me to set up a system for him. wants the front towers in the open but wants hidden speakers for the rest. He is building a home theater and the speakers would be hid by velvet.

now are there specific speaker for hiding(would prefer something low pro).
    he gave me a budget of 1200 but i am sure i can get him to bump that up. the 1200 is for all the speakers. I am going 6.1 and the SVS is already purchased. so 1200 for those speakers.

oh and before i forget, reciever is the HK avr-230

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I can't see velvet being to acoustically transparent. Are you talking about hiding them behind curtans or something like that? The hidden speakers are probabaly not going to blend too well with the uncovered towers either. I don't think there are any specific brands that make speakers to be placed behind curtans. If you want hidden speakers I would suggest a different fabric or inwall speakers. I would do a search in the builders forum to see what kind of fabric is best used to hide speakers.

3. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

yeah we changed plans and are mounting them in columns instead.

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Putting cabinet speakers inside a column is going to mess up their sound badly. Use in-walls since they are designed for this.