Hidden Servo-15, is it problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy Levario, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Tommy Levario

I have an amoire with a cabinet at the bottom. I'd like to place servo-15 inside of it, but I'm not clear how this will affect it's performance. The door to this cabinet has a 16.5" W X 17" H opening that can be fitted with a grill.

This would be a great place to put it because 1) it will be out of sight ,2) floor space will be saved, and 3) it'll be exactly inbetween the main speakers facing the sweet spot. However, if you think that the performance will degrade, then I'll have to find some other location.

Thanks for the help

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

You can try it there...but two issues come immediately to mind,

1)vibrations/resonantion fron the surrounding panels

2)one of the primary advantages of using a separate subwoofer is it allows the user to experiment with placement options to optimize the bass at the key seating positions. By predeteriming the location like this, you're compromising this advantage.

TV

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yeah, it's gonna shake the crap out of your furniture. I wouldn't recommend going that route. If you can, try it out without making any modifications to the furniture. If you like it and are satisfied with the amount of bass you can acheive, go for it. But, it's most likely that you'll get flatter, higher response by putting it in the corner.