What's new

Hidden message in Microsoft Excel 97... (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I was just digging through my desk drawer and found an old note explaining how to see the hidden message in Excel 97... for those of you who haven't seen it.

(Excel needs to be NOT in the R1L1 cell reference but in the letter:number reference)

Open Excel97

Press F5

Type x97:l97

Press ENTER

Press TAB

Hold CTRL + SHIFT and click on the "Chart Wizard" button
Steer with your mouse.. look around.. you can find the message.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> Excel needs to be NOT in the R1L1 cell reference but in the letter:number reference

Not sure what that means, but I get invalid input.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Chris, go to TOOLS/OPTIONS

click on the GENERAL tab and uncheck the R1C1 reference box.

Then try it again.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Wow, that's kind of freaky, isn't it? :)
(and how amazing it is that exactly Excel 97 is installed on the machine I use right now...)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I have no idea what it says but the Office software is filled with Easter eggs. The most notorious (or humorous) is typing "I'd like to kill Bill Gates" in MS Word. Select the phrase in the thesaurus and the synonym listed is "I'll drink to that."

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
It scrolls too fast for anyone to read!
Your mouse is over too far to one side. Move your mouse around to slow things down.
You can also left click to move forward, right click to move backwards. If you're moving forward and you left click you'll go faster. If you're moving forward and you right click you'll slow down (or stop).
Has anybody found the "bouncing landscape" or the scrolling credits?
This is pretty cool! Thanks for pointing it out Dave (although I'm feeling a little motion sick right now). :D

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Michael*K:

What version of MS Word would that be in?

I can't find it in Word 97.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think the thesaurus thing is just coincidental, it's matching the first thing it finds alphabetically after the word "I'd". You can type "I'd like to _______" and fill in the blank with anything you want, and it will still say "I'll drink to that".

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It scrolls too fast for anyone to read!
Actually, this was released in 97, obviously. It ran fine on my old Pentium PC.. but machines nowadays are much faster.. so it's a little hard to control.

It says some sort of "biblical-esque" message about dragging and dropping data.. ".. and it was good." that sort of thing.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Ah yes.. the good old Excel mini Flight Simulator :) Been ages since I last tried that.
Anyone remeber all the fun you could have in the "help & about box" in Windows 3.11 where if you clicked on the parts of the windows logo you could get text to scroll above it!
Ah the days of Easter Eggs... they're not supposed to do anything like that any more over at M$ :frowning:
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks