Hidden inputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Merrick, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Has anyone ever heard of a tv hiding extra inputs behind un-punched out rear panels? I know this is not an uncommon thing in certain other devices, just wondering if maybe - just maybe - there is a hidden set of component inputs on my JVC 27"?
    I know, I know... I'm dreaming... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. J.R. Burn

J.R. Burn Auditioning

It's now time to wake up.

3. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick
    Dang J.R. and being so close I was hoping you would come over and show me where they were... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. J.R. Burn

J.R. Burn Auditioning

Jason, All kidding aside if they did have the inputs they normally extend outside the cabinet so hidden one are unlikely, Jack.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I haven't seen this on any TV's, but I have seen it on other equipment. I even managed to open one up and use the terminals, but it was so far back I don't what it was now.
    Just as the A/V inputs on the front of a VCR are recessed, they can do the same for the back panel of a TV. The other alternative would be to have a circuit board just inside of the opening, with a missing snap in panel housing the sockets, or a cord from the circuit board that doesn't do anything. They do this with receivers, the cheaper models just have jumpers bypassing the parts that are only in the higher priced versions.
    Glenn

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick
    Jack, I am not as dumb as that question may have implied. This practice is not uncommon in other types of equipment...
    For example, it is much cheaper for a manufacturer to have say 50,000 circuit boards made for all of their a/v receivers and then just make certain features accessible based on the model purchased, as opposed to having 10,000 circuit boards for each of 5 different models made that have different features.
    I am not saying that every piece of electronic equipment uses this "a-la-carte" model, but it doesn't hurt to ask... if anybody would have discovered "hidden inputs" on a tv... it would be HTF members! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]