What's new

Hidden Gem: "Tortilla Soup" (1/15) (1 Viewer)

AaronJB

Second Unit
I was able to review next week's "Tortilla Soup" yesterday. I really didn't know much about the film at all, except for the fact that it was a remake of Ang Lee's "Eat Drink Man Woman", only with Mexican food instead of Chinese food.
The film stars Hector Elizondo as the father of three daughters (Elizabeth Pena of "Rush Hour", Jaqueline Obradors of "Six Days, Seven Nights" and Tamara Mello of "She's All That"). As the daughters sit down for dinners (and there's incredible food in this film), we learn more about the problems that the girls are having. This could have turned sitcom-ish, but the three girls are absolutely terrific in their roles. Not only did I believe them as sisters, but their characters are nicely developed and have distinct personalities. More than that, everyone seems to be having genuine fun in their part.
While the material may be a bit familiar and predictable, I thought the film presented realistic situations well and added a few touches of drama without getting too heavy. It's not a flawless film, but I smiled a lot, cared about the characters and was satisfied at the end, as if I'd had a good meal.
And - of course - food plays a part in the film:

tortillasoup3.jpg

The DVD is a bit dissapointing (no extras whatsoever, but good audio/video. It's a good rental if you're at the video store and are in the mood for a nice comedy.
I just thought I'd share, as I'd hope this fun and entertaining little movie doesn't get overlooked during a busy week of releases.

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Although tortilla soup was an entertaining movie, Eat Drink Man Woman was much better: more complex, better acted, better written, better directed, and overall more emotional and captivating.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Mmmmmm! I love tortilla soup! :) I'll be looking for this one - maybe I'll screen it for my mother and it'll put her in the mood to make some tamales...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks