HICKEY AND BOGGS DVD - Has anyone seen?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Martin, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I just rented the film HICKEY AND BOGGS from Netflix. It is a 1972 detective film starring Robert Culp (who also directed) and Bill Cosby, written by Walter Hill.

The DVD was released by Music Video Distributors / AIP Home Video, even though the film opens with a UA logo.

The DVD has to be one of the worst transfers I have ever seen. It appears to be directly from a VHS source, complete with the tracking lines and drop out marks throughout. It is like someone taped it off of TV 25 years ago and just slapped it onto DVD and released it that way.

Does anyone know the legality of it? Netflix and Amazon carry it so it isn't exactly hidden. UA must have lost the rights to it.

Despite the DVD quality, it was a fairly good film, with Cosby given a terrific performance, one of his few straight dramatic roles. He should have done more.

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I'm sorry to hear that it's a bad transfer as I think it's a great movie. The soundtrack just got released.

3. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

It's a BOOTLEG folks! Amazing MGM didn't do something about this.....

4. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

UA/MGM still controls it, it is taken from a PAL master, there was a beautiful widescreen edition on tCM channel awhile back, so i am suprised MGM hasnt done anything about it.

by the way, where you do get the soundtrack???