Hiatal Hernia Surgery-Part 2

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ScottR, Sep 14, 2003.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Well, I finally had the surgery on Wednesday. They didn't use the laser procedure, but rather cut me open. I did very well, but I can't have some solid foods for up to eight weeks.....I will gradually work my way up. I am going to go crazy without caffeine for two months, not to mention fried foods. I have a lot of staples (I hope they don't hurt when taken out.) So far I am having a fair amount of pain and some really weird dreams....but other than that, I think my recovery is coming along quite nicely.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So just to inform the dummies such as myself (and at the risk of being mocked).. are hernias something anyone can get randomly or just to those who do more heavy lifting? What causes this problem and how did the surgery fix it? Is it a life-long fix that you don't have to worry about anymore when it fully heals or something you always have to watch from now on?

Sorry for the ?'s. [​IMG] And glad you're doing well, the best part about surgery is when it's over! [​IMG]

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Think of this as a way to stop using caffeine.

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

ScottR, I'm glad to hear recovery is going well! I haven't had a hiatal hernia, but did have 2 inguinal hernia surgeries and 1 ubmillical hernia surgery...FWIW, the staples came out pain free for me.[​IMG]

ScottL, I don't think Scott's hernia is the same as the type that is often associated with lifting. I don't know anything about hiatal hernia's though.

The kind you're thinking of are the inguinal (in the groin) or umbillical (belly button region). These are the ones associated with lifting, but could also be caused by a genetic weakness of the abdominal wall (my problem) and by aging..where the elasticity of the wall decreases as we age and becomes more prone to breaking.

Surgery for these, and I'm oversimplifying, is basically putting the muscles back behind the wall..Then using a piece of titanium mesh (or some other material) to close and re-enforce the wall. There are several methods but this was the most common when I had my last one repaired.

Life long fix? I sure as hell hope so! For the types of hernias I've had, recurrances are possible, and most likely to happen in the few years immediately following the repair. If you get past those couple of years ok, you're usually home free.