Hi-Rez MC Sound from the Grave - Sinatra at the Sands

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I just got Sinatra at the Sands on DVD-A. An OK disc for an almost 40 year old recording, but there is a note on the inside of the back cover behind the disc mount, which can be read when the disc is removed. This really caught my eye.

It says:

"This album was mixed from the original multitracks with the approval of the artist and mastered especially for the DVD-Audio release".

I expect that Frank had some serious clout back in the day, but approving a surround mix from the great beyond?

The Chairman of the Board indeed!

[​IMG]

BGL

2. Joseph Hoetzl

That reminds me, I noticed a Richie Valens in the SACD section of Be$t Buy...on SACD. Anyone have this disc? Any good?

Don't know if he approved it though...

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

Brian: I agree its an okay-sounding disc, but I expected a bit more after reading some of the statements made by members here awhile back.

The disc is definitely re-mixed. It is easy to hear the editing difference in a number of tracks--esepecially "I've Got A Crush On You". I actually pulled out both my LP and original pressing CD (late 1980s. I think there was a later release with bonus tracks) and did a side-by-side comparison. I was always bugged by an especially bad edit during "Crush On You". After Frank's "Do ya wanna meet Monday and pick out the furtniture?" adlib there is incredibly abrupt laughter added-in which has always sounded lame. The DVD-A goes a long way towards improving that. Maybe Frank put his foot down to make it better. [​IMG]

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

And I'll make one again: It's an incredible sounding disc. Puts Sinatra in the center of your living room. Also, the instrumental Count Basie stuff is the most thrilling big-band recording I have ever heard.

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Joseph-

The Richie Valens SACD is very good and sounds better than any release I have ever heard, but be warned it sounds like it was recorded 50 years ago in a small studio for very little money (which it was).

It was mastered and mixed by Steve Hoffman who has worshipers everywhere.

I really like the Sinatra Sands disc but I think a lot of the complaints people have about this disc and others is expectations that are set way to high. As good as Hi-Rez is, they can't make the tapes sound any better than they were recorded.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Great sounding LP. Great sounding CD. Great sounding DVD-A. Incredible performance by both Sinatra & Basie's band. LarryDavenport is right. I just expected to get a little bit more in improved audio in the new format.