Hi-res 192 khz music........Why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Feb 8, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

The question says it all.....Are there any significant improvements in sound quality over 96Khz? Because I've heard from many experts that you really don't hear much of anything over 20Khz (Is this correct?). I know mastering a stereo track at 192khz will take up a great deal of space on the disc, but if the improvements won't be discernable to the human ear, then what difference does it make? I am not be rhetorical, but would like John Kotches, Ric P, Keith H, or any audiophile expert out there to school myself and others on this because I heard the 192khz track on the Eagles DVD-A today, and frankly, wasn't any more impressed with it than the two channel 96khz tracks I've heard on other ecordings in the past.

Thanks,

Reg

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, 192 is just a number. 96 is just a number. In and of themselves, they say little, if anything, about sound quality. Let's not forget that the quality of the master and the mixing to the medium in question have a significant bearing on the sound quality. Therefore, one shouldn't necessarily expect 24/192 of one recording to sound better than 24/96 of another recording just because the former track has more data.

Of all the stereo DVD-Audio tracks I have heard, the best-sounding one in my opinion is the 24/96 mix of Steely Dan Two Against Nature. I feel it bests the 24/192 stereo track on Eagles Hotel California. The Steely Dan album was recorded very well, and the master is obviously outstanding. To my ears, the CD version of Two Against Nature is very good. The DVD-Audio disc is much better. As for Hotel California, it is well known that the original master is in very bad condition, and the recording wasn't really too good to begin with in my opinion. The 24/192 DVD-Audio mix is far better than any CD version of Hotel California I have heard, but it is not as good as the 24/96 Steely Dan mix. The sound quality of the 24/192 mix on Hotel California is limited by the poor quality of the master. However, I suspect that the 24/192 mix would sound better than a 24/96 mix of the same album. Just my opinion.

As for our hearing being limited to 20 kHz, I believe that to be true. However, studies have shown that humans sense or respond in some way to an expanded frequency range well above 20 kHz. I am no expert on the subject, but I have heard of this phenomenon.

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Our ears are sensitive to phase information. You could have two 20kHz signals say 90 degrees out of phase. A low sample rate could not very accurately capture the aggregate waveform.