What's new

Hi! newbie seeks wisdom his current system (1 Viewer)

Rayx0r

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
First of all, I searched around a bit for a healthy forum to ask such newbie questions and this one seems to be the place for those such discussions.

I've begun to put together a beginners home theater system. This all started when my girlfriend decided to buy us an Xbox 360. Its nothing extravagant at all, I just happened to be patient and find some decent mid-range items on sale. I just finished it this weekend by adding the speakers.

So my system is the following:
Sylvania 6842THG -42inch plasma up to 1080i
Denon AVR-687 7.1 reciever with component upconvert up to 1080i
Polk Audio RM6550 5.1 speakers
Pioneer DV-C302D 5disc changer (about 7 years old, non-progressive I believe. I'll get to that in a minute)

Now, one of the main reasons I bought the Denon reciever is for its upconvert capabilities through component (it has no HDMI in or out). I think I may have had the wrong impression on what upconverting actually does.

So, I have everything hooked up and my DVD player input to the Denon on component 1 and output from its component out to my TV. However, still when I check the current screen mode says 480i

The reciever has no HDMI and it does in fact claim to upconvert to 1080i from component, s-video and video inputs through its component out (at least thats how I read it). Is it possible that it will only upconvert when I go from DVD player to the Denon using the s-video or standard video? Is this a complete limitation of my old DVD player (which is what im thinking is going on)? Or, am I misunderstanding this completely and my TV resolution is displaying the proper resolution of 480i but its still being converted to fit my televisions screen format?

I guess all Ive read on upconverting is that it can convert displays to 1080i or 1080p (depending on the device) and I expected to see 1080i as my current display setting like I do when im watching my normal cable HD channels?

would one of you care to clear this up a bit for me and enlighten me?

Thanks!

adam613

Agent
Real Name
Adam
When dealing with receivers, all "upconversion" means is that the receiver can output a lower-quality signal type (s-video or composite, in this case) over a higher-quality output (component). It doesn't alter the resolution of the source images; it only reduces the number of cables you need to run from your receiver to your TV. If you have a receiver that can do HDMI upconversion, you only have to run an HDMI cable; all component, s-video, and composite devices connected to the receiver will use the receiver's HDMI output port. In your case (and mine), you only need to run a component cable to your TV, even if you have s-video devices connected.

If you want your DVDs to display in 1080i, you'll need an upscaling DVD player, and you will most likely need to connect it to your TV over HDMI, as there are very few if any upscaling DVD players that can upscale over a component connection.

zpdrummer

Agent
Real Name
Andrew
I just checked the website and I got the same idea you did, perhaps there is a mode or button you must press to enable the upconversion, so search that manual but then I also read:
"Component video conversion also preserves the highest possible picture quality for each source."
so perhaps, as adam says, it only consolidates the cables into one output and that the component line is merely able to send over pictures ranging from 480i all the way to 1080i. Its suggested from the wording "for each source" edit that it may not upconvert the signals to 1080i,
but then again it does say: "This coupled with Video Up Conversion" so like i said, search that manual
sorry I couldn't be of more help

Rayx0r

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
ya, I read the manual through and through. I even found a reviewer state that he was able to convert 480i s-video to 720p out of the component. So I guess im just as confused as I was when I started. What I do know, is my dvd display looks the same as it did and my girlfriend already wants to buy either a blue ray player or an HD player so I'll just wait on that.

now the dillema will be: blue-ray or HD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks