Hi! New here with a ? about zoning

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Veronica, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Veronica

Veronica Auditioning

Hello Everyone!

Hope you can help me out with my query.**I live in Australia.**We are in zone 4.**I purchased a Pioneer dv 344 player.**I bought some dvds from the UK which are PAL zone 2 which play fine on my player.**I have a dvd which I bought here but is NTSC zone 4 which is fine.**I am thinking about buying an 'Are You Being Served' dvd from the US but it is zone 1.**(I cant get it from zone 2 or 4)**Do you think it will work on my dvd player?**

Thanks for your time

Veronica

2. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

Hi Veronica,

short answer: no.

long answer: I assume, that your player has not been modified to be codefree, right? That means, it can play only region 4 and region 0 (= no regional code) discs. Now, many DVDs sold in Australia are identical to those from Europe and contain code 4 AND code 2, althought only one of them is displayed on the box. This is the reason you can play your UK dvds - you were lucky to buy just some of those that are also code 4.
    Unfortunately US discs are code 1 only, therefore you will most probably be not able to play them unless you get your player modified to be codefree (which costs money and you loose your warranty).

Hartwig

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi Veronica
    Welcome to the Forums, just send you a PM for more info about your Pioneer as I have the same one, although mine is MR.
    cheers
    Oscar
    [​IMG]

4. Justin B

Justin B Agent

Welcome to the HTF, Veronica.
    Your DVD player may very well be region-free, depending on where you bought it and how much you paid. Some retailers sell modified Pioneer dv344 players. These are identified by a 'green dot' sticker on the box. If it had this sticker, you'll be able to play R1 disks. Otherwise, you can get the player modified. Perhaps you can borrow an R1 disk from a friend, or even hire one, to find out either way?
    If you do need to (and want to) modify your player, Campsie HiFi in Sydney can do it for between $100 and $180 depending on the type of mod.
    Also, if you're not already aware of it Michael DVD is a great site for R4 DVD information, including comparing R4 releases with other regions.

5. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

And [shameless plug]pop along to DVDPlaza while you're at it for more friendly R4 advice[/shameless plug].
    As Justin B said, most Pioneer players sold in Australia are region free - look for the green dot and you'll be right.
    Anyway, what R2 titles do you have, and which studios release them? Fox, Warner and Columbia tend to release dual-coded stuff.

6. Veronica

Veronica Auditioning

Hello again!

When I bought my dvd player I was told it was multi-regional. So what does this mean?

Veronica

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

that you can play R1 discs after all
    [​IMG]

8. Veronica

Veronica Auditioning

Thanks!!!

I hope it wasnt just a sales pitch though ;o)

Veron

9. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

What Oscar said...

As long as your TV can display NTSC signals (and, looking your first post, it can), you can watch all R1 discs.

I think that your model Pioneer player can't automatically switch regions (at least the equivalent R2 model can't). It has to be done manually. If that's the case, be sure to know how to switch regions (usually a button-press combination on the remote).

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi Mark
    Seeing that Veronica has the same model as I do in regards to being Multi Region, the disc will automatically play
    [​IMG]

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    my guess is if you were specifically told it was multi-region, it is. here in Singapore practically all players are multi-region (a.k.a. "code-free"). one of the "benefits" of not being in the all-mighty Region 1, since we want to play R1 discs, our players tend to be multi-region, whereas our R1 friends generally have players limited to R1 only.

having said that, note that some so-called multi-region players can't deal with R1 discs that are "region code-enhanced", RCE. but Pioneer is generally not one of the brands that can't deal with RCE, i.e. your player should be able to deal with RCE discs without difficulty. but as someone earlier suggested, michaeldvd.com.au is a useful resource.

12. Veronica

Veronica Auditioning

Hi all!

Ive been looking for the green dot but cant seem to find it. I think I will go ahead and but the R1 disc. If doesnt work well so be it. At least I'll know.

Thanks for all your help
    Veronica

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Veronica,

As said before, even when it's not modified yet, you can have it modified.

And, oh, please let us know what you find out about your player!

Good luck.

Cees