Hi, new here, and I have a question.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by eric scher, Feb 21, 2004.

1. eric scher

eric scher Auditioning

Back in the mid 90's I used to do commercial video and I hung a LOT of Zenith Pro851X projectors. We used to just project onto a wall that was painted with Ceiling White paint and bordered with 1x2 black painted pine. It worked GREAT and I decided then that if I ever get to where I'm thinking about getting a big TV I would look into projectors first.

I know the technology has changed quite a bit, although there are still CRT projectors out there.

Basically, I'm hoping someone can break this down for me in a concise manner.

If I'm looking for something in the < $1,500 range, what should I be looking for and what should I be avoiding, both in terms of technologies and in terms of specific manufacturers and/or products?

BTW, because I know someone will ask; yes, I could spend more money if I chose to, but as I've gotten older I have discovered that it's usually good to set reasonable budgetary constraints and try to stick with them, so that by the time I'm already into something and emotions have gotten involved, I already have the budget pre-decided. It tends to help reign in my tendency to fall in love with a new toy and spend way too much.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to render.

2. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

Your first order of business is to pick between LCD and DLP projectors. Try this website: projectorcentral

LCD will be better for resolution in your price range and will also offer 16x9 native. DLP will be 4:3, will have no screen door effect and better contrast.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you have experience with CRT, which you do, certainly forget about LCD/DLP, and find yourself a good CRT projector, you can get some very nice units for 1500 on the used/refurb market.

DLPs are getting there, but you're talking about spending some serious cash ($10K give or take a bit depending) to get an HD2+ dlp to approach or equal the performance of a good CRT. 1500 digitals versus 1500 CRT isn't even a fair fight.

See the CRT forum @avs

DLP can be native 16:9 don't know what david is talking about, and DLP also suffers from screen door.

4. eric scher

eric scher Auditioning

AVS?

Do you have a link?

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

you have a PM (or will in a moment)

6. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

What David was talking about was the less than 1,500 price range, where most DLPs are 4:3 native. LCDs offer 16:9 at a lower price point.

And to credit Chris, yes DLP suffers from screen door, but it isn't nearly as noticeable as LCD and is rarely mentioned as a concern with DLP projectors.

AVS Forum has lots of info on everything audio/video

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Certainly you're right, it sounded as if you said DLP was only 4:3, which baffled me is all. And from a CRT projector perspective, certainly DLP has visible, and IMO annoying screen door. COmpared to LCD, though, it's very acceptable, certainly.

The high-end units have minimal pixel visibility, but certainly not quite adequate for my tastes. Certainly they are starting to get nice though.

8. eric scher

eric scher Auditioning

I've been reading about the LCD and the DLP projectors, and I have two main concerns:

1) Pixilation
    2) Rainbow

Ideally, I'd really like to get a CRT projector, but the only ones I seem to see are the ones that are high end, and finding a good used one is, to put it mildly, problematic.

BTW, I have a very specific location in mind in my home, and perhaps knowing the specific circumstances would lead to some spcific suggestions.

Imagine a rectangle, 10' long x 8' wide.
    The shorter walls are north and south, with the longer walls being east and west.

The screen would be on the northern wall, but not centered. Instead, it will be shifted all the way over to the right.

The viewing areas will be all of the southern wall and the southernmost half of the western wall.

The wall that I want to project on happens to be exactly 4 feet wide, and would be perfect for a classic 3 x 4 x 5 screen in 3:4 aspect ratio.
    The wall in question is ALWAYS in shadow, even with ALL the lights on and the morning sun streaming in through the patio doors.

Finally, I rarely watch DVDs or Videotapes. 90% of my entertainment is straight TV.

So, back to my concerns...

I don't need a projector with a lot of lumens, because I'm going to a relatively small screen in a shaded corner.

I do worry about pixilation, because the closest viewing location would be as little as 6 feet away and at a 45-ish degree angle, and the farthest only 10 feet away with no angle.

I have no idea how angle or distance affects rainbow, although I DO know that I spend a majority of my day staring at a computer screen, so the last thing I need is to watch a video image that gives me a headache.

I have actually considered placing a rear projection unit in the corner, at a 45 degree angle to the corner itself. However, that places the outermost two viewing areas at about a 40 degree angle to the viewing surface, which is probably going to be outside the "cone" of best viewing.

Anyway, given the room size, seating arrangements, screen size and light conditions, does that let anyone make more specific suggestions?

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

First part is true, second part is not! You just need to make sure you buy from a reputable source, so you can trust their indication of the tube condition. If you have experience setting them up, and you have a room that you can get dark, there's no way you'll be satisfied with an entry-level digital in comparison with what you are used to.

Like I said, you should have no problem picking up an zenith851 in mint condition for 1500 bucks. And there are other similar or higher quality units out there for 2k and under. And given your installation experience, you can certainly consider retubing one if you can find one dirt cheap with a little wear.

10. eric scher

eric scher Auditioning

I'd LOVE to pick up an 851 for $1,500.

Where?

11. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Eric, I don't know all the used/refurb resellers, but one place to get a good start is with Curt Palme. He sells and backs up used CRTs, and has a great reputation.

His email address is: [email protected]

Drop him an email and ask to get on his used projector list.

He actually sent a list out today. I'll provide more details in a PM.

Where are you located? I actually have an Ampro 3600 (8" EM focus CRT) that I'm looking to sell in that price range (actually a bit less even).

Matt

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, and Terry in Georgia as well, email here for his list: [email protected]

I think what he has available spans your price zone, he has a couple cheapies, and some more expensive. Curt on his last list had some 851s for 1500, but he probably sold them.

I'd also peruse videogon, but make sure you buy from a trusted seller, such as curt, terry, tim, or another well-known CRT forum member, because as you know, projectors can be pretty heavily used and not worth much to you. You need to make sure you trust the evaluation of the condition, or that you can check out a unit in person, or see pictures and such of the tube faces and the hour meters.