What's new

Hi, new here and I don't know squat about speakers (1 Viewer)

Thankfully, I found this place a few weeks ago and it's really helped me out. For one, I managed to return a pair of Bose rear-speakers back to Future Shop just in time to get my money back.

I am looking to upgrade my system, starting with my speakers. For Christmas, I hope to treat myself to a Pioneer Elite receiver and DVD with the Firewire. But for now, I am staying with my regular Pioneer and PS2. I too have a mish-mash of speakers for Sorround sound. Future Shop was a great place to start when you are a novice but at this point I know enough to move on to High-end stores for the main hardware except for maybe cables and stuff.

Currenty I have Quest fronts (I know, I know...) and a Kenwood surrounds (YIKES! They are from my original Pro-Logic system, please don't laugh.) As you can tell, I have been upgrading piecemeal for a long time. I am looking to spend 2-3 grand on speakers and I need help. I want to get the best bang for my buck. I have been looking at a wide range of product and the stores in Toronto all seem to have their own preference. Bay-Bloor likes Mission (obviously since they sell lots of Denon), Altronics in Etobicoke likes Tannoy and Canadian Sound in Brampton likes B&W. I am also looking at JBL and Energy. Lots of people here have Paradigm and seem to be happy with them but I can't find anyone in Toronto that sells them so I can hear what they are like. I visited the KEF website and like their look and design but I have the same problem in that I can't find anyone in Toronto that sells them so I can hear them.

If you guys can help with my situation let me know. This place is great!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Have you gone to the Paradigm web site and used the dealer locater? I can't believe a Canadian speaker company doesn't have a dealer in Toronto.

There are other good Canadian speaker companies to checkout too. Axiom, PSB, and Totem come to mind right off.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
No the dealer locater worked great for me yesterday. I'm going down to listen to some Paradigm speakers today. I have never heard them but I have heard nothin but good things. I would definatly recommend PSB. I've owned PSB's before and loved them. Axiom also makes great speakers. Although I believe Axiom does not distribute. But they have a 30 day money back guarantee.(All Axiom products carry our No Risk 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee and Free Shipping throughout North America) See directly off there website www.axiomaudio.com. And you don't need to spend two plus grand to get a kick azz system. The Axiom system I put together with a SVS sub only ran me $1940. Close to 2 G's but not over. That gives you extra money to spend on your reciever. But the best advise anyone on this forum could give you is listen. If you like the way it sounds then buy it. Also take along material you are familiar with. Weather it is a movie or hard core metal. It is important to hear what your music will sound like on those speakers. Ok a few more things. Then I'll stop ranting. First....remember to check and see if the place you buy from has a money back guarantee. Why? Because whatever you buy will sound totally different once you get it home. Your room acoustics will be different then the stores. Not to mention your reciever. Unless you buy the same reciever that was pushing them in the store. And second and most important to remeber is spending more does not always mean better. I hope this helps. Sorry it was so long. Mike D

Thanks guys! That was lots of help. I did indeed find the Paradigm website and found a dealer nearby. I will be heading there tonight. I'll have to look at everything, from price to performance but this gives me a good start.

Chris

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Ok, this is coming from a 16 year old, so give me a break...

I got my speakers from Merak, a speaker company out of Muskoka....

I'm not too sure, Christian, but I think they are actually a division of Axiom Audio...

they have some pretty nice looking speakers, though I only got the low end versions and a subwoofer...

might want to check them out...

AFAIK, the only way you can get them is if you order them through RadioshackMerak Loudspeakers

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Christian,

How much money do you have and what kind of sound are you looking for? Do you prefer a warmer and more pleasant kind of sound versus something more "crisp" and impactful? Does it have to go loud?

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
mirage makes pretty good speakers, might wanna check them out too, their sister company is energy, a much more main stream brand.

gregD

Second Unit
If you are commited to the Pioneer Elite receiver -- not a bad choice at all -- be aware that they have been discovered to have trouble driving inefficient speakers... so while researching speakers, look for those with 8-ohm impedance ratings and high efficiency (sensitivity) numbers, 90db or higher.

That still leaves you plenty of choices... no brand recommendations from me; the makes you've listed are all reputable... but since you're new at this, be willing to do lots of auditioning in the stores to start with... speaker sound varies more than any other component in the chain.

paulBAW

Stunt Coordinator
Buying a Pioneer Elite receiver really might be your biggest weakness. I'd be spending more money on speakers. And less on the AV receiver. I work at Future Shop. Consider the Yamaha HTR 5560 or 5590. Both will be going Clearance near the end of May. And you can get these receivers for a real bargain. The main difference between the HTR and RX-V series is the preouts. The 5590 doesn't offer preouts but is almost identical to the RX-V1300 receiver and I have personally auditioned both that Yamaha and the Pioneer Elite 41. The Elite beat it for both music and movies. But if the Yamaha goes Clearence and dips into the $700 area CDN, your better off going with it. The 5560 is a steal right now for $500 CDN. And will be dropping again in about a months time.

For speakers, I'd recommend PSB, Paradigm as entry level. Both make excellent budget speakers. I've had my PSB 400's for along time and they've served me well. Now it's time to upgrade. And again I'm considering the Paradigm Studio 40's. PSB has gone down hill in my eyes since they stopped making alot of their products in Canada. Polk Audio makes some decent stuff, but you really have to get up to their LSi line untill you really come upon some good stuff. I'd consider Paradigm. And if you wanna cut some corners even check out the new API Athena lineup. They actually aren't that bad for what they are.

Have fun, and use your ears. Too many people don't.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will be taking all the advice and considering it in my search for new speakers (and even for a new receiver).

Chris

Great metropolitan sound at yonge and egglinton features PSB. Satcom Canada Technology at Leslie and Highway 7 has Monitor Audio. I suggest you check these out!

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks