Hi Level Inputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc*F, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

I'm wanting to get a powered sub for my home theatre system. Currently my home theatre system has an amp giving an 8ohm signal 65wrms to a passive sub which i would like to replace with a powered sub. How do i go about connecting the wires? the amp high level inputs will have 2 pairs of inputs? Will i loose alot of SQ and can it accept any particular output signal from my amp?

thanks

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

whatever cable you have inputted into the amp powering your sub will just have to be plugged into the subamp once you get a powered one. thats the usual way. unless you have an old receiver without a subwoofer output and you have to run your mains speaker level outputs through the sub amp which acts as a crossover and an amp. if thats the case, you will just have to purchase an outboard crossover.

either way, you can help us help you with a little more info about your components and setup.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are using speaker level inputs, you can actually just continue to do so with most subs, however if your receiver has a preamp subwoofer output (RCA), that is what you want to use.

4. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

basically its a Pioneer DVD receiver/amp unit with front/surround and a sub speaker output. It is an 8ohm 65wrms sub speaker output.....how and can i connect this up to my powered subwoofer with two pairs of speaker hi level inputs? I know rca's are preferred but my receiver does not have a subout....also do i loose alot of SQ by using hi level inputs?

5. John Garcia

John
    Without a sub out, you would just use the R+L front speaker level outputs to a sub that accepts these inputs (most do), instead of using the speaker level output. The sub should pass the crossed over signal with power straight thru to your main speakers, and utilize just the signal it needs for bass. This means the sub is handling the crossover, not your receiver, and you will run your main speakers as "large". You will probably lose a little bit of sound quality, but it will be the best you can do until you can upgrade your receiver down the road.

One other possiblity would be to get a speaker level to line level converter, found at Radio Shack, and use that to run to the sub. Sound quality will be no different than just running wires, but your receiver will be able to do the bass management instead of the sub.

6. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

what would happen if i used the already sub speaker wires straight into the high level inputs? could i somehow?

7. John Garcia

John
    The single output is a mono signal, and the sub will have a stereo input when using the speaker level connection. You could split the signal, but you will be getting the same information on both channels anyway, and you will not be able to crossover your mains from the sub this way. There should be no problem using it this way.

8. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

As the sub signal is mono could I just hook the sub speaker wires to one of the hi-level inputs eg. jsut the left side and it will work? or do i need to split the sub wire? would that be left sub wire splits to both left hi-level inputs?

9. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Using just one input will work fine. If you get a sub without hi level inputs, then you will need to buy/make a line converter to drop the voltage down.