What's new

Hi… it’s been a while (1 Viewer)

Tok

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Whitcher
Hi

I’m back from a long hiatus from this board.

I posted here years ago but I can’t remember my username or the email associated with that account.

I started my journey into home theater back in 1984 when I convinced my father to buy one the first VHS HiFi VCRs available (a Quasar Matsushita built unit). I began my physical collection with the first VHS HiFi release of Star Wars with the VCR connected to our family stereo.

I bought into laserdisc in early 1990 with a basic Pioneer CLD-1030 digital audio capable player. I built a small collection of expensive laserdisc titles through Columbia House’s Laserdisc Club. Then DVD hit as I was finishing my BS. I bought a Sony DVP-S3000 and started amassing a DVD collection with the help of loss leader sales by the budding online retailers. Bought my first 5.1 system around this time as well.

A few short years later I was married with a house that I could redo the basement with a proper home theater. My first projector was a Sharp DT300 with a Matterhorn DLP chip and a 92-in Greyhawk screen. Went through a couple of different AVRs during this time, a Denon AVR2700 with a Millenium 2.4.6 dts decoder and a Pioneer VSX1015.

In 2007 I was able to obtain a PS3 and started moving my media collection buying to the new HD format. By 2008-9 I had upgraded to HD projection with an Epson ProCinema 1080UB and next generation 7.1 lossless surround with an Onkyo TX-SR805.

By 2012-13 I moved up to Sony HD projection with 3D capabilities by way of a HW30ES along with several AVR changes in the Onkyo AVR line eventually settling on the TX-NR3008 that used with my Definitive Technology speakers.

In 2015 we moved and built a new spec home that allowed me to make some modifications in the basement area to accommodate my new to-be home theater. Although my previous room was fairly large it was long but narrow at 11.5-12ft wide by 25 ft long with a low ceiling <7ft on the riser whereas my new room was 15-ft wide by 17-ft deep with a 8-ft ceiling. I was able to work directly with the low voltage contractor and had my theater room pre-wired for 7.2.4 and ran CAT6 to most of the house. I used my HW30ES in the new home along with my Onkyo 3008 until 2017.

At that time I made a few changes in my speaker setup going from my Def Tech CLR3000 LCR array to Studio Monitor 65s for the front array. I also installed 4-in-ceiling RSL34E speakers for my height channels. Then I added 2-SVS PB2000 opposed to my single aging subwoofer Velodyne CT100. Was enjoying Dolby Atmos and dts:X going forward. But the biggest change I made at that point was finally stepping up to a JVC DILA based projector, a RS540. It was a significant improvement at the time but I also believed that my Sony 30ES was suffering from SXRD degradation that many Sony units fell victim to.

Flash forward to today, I’ve moved up to true 4K projection with a JVC RS3100, a Marantz AV10 state of the art processor connected to a 3-ch Buckeye Purifi based amplifier and an 8-ch Buckeye Hypex based amplifier. And finally an all KEF R-series based speaker system (minus the still kicking SVS PB2000s). The non-Meta KEF system consists of the following:
Left/Right, R11;
Center, R3;
Side/Rear Surrounds, R7; and
Top Front/Rear, CI200RR.

It’s been a journey and it’s still not over. Contemplating if I can take advantage of more channel possibilities from my AV10 and if I should go with larger more powerful subs. It never ends but I’m significantly satisfied for what I’m able to create in my home theater space. And I hope this serves as a reminder to some that part of the fun is journey.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
WOW!!! What an exciting story! Thanks so much for telling us about your adventure,

Maybe I misssd but what was the size of your screen?

Reactions: Tok

Tok

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Whitcher
WOW!!! What an exciting story! Thanks so much for telling us about your adventure,

Maybe I misssd but what was the size of your screen?
Went from a 92” to a motorized 100” at my previous home. Currently have a 16:9 120-in Elite CineWhite screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain
Recent bookmarks