What's new

hi everyone (1 Viewer)

thevideoman

Auditioning
Real Name
Drin
hi guys, i am new to this forum and to the dvd home theatre system. i just boght a new tv that has HDMI and i renovated my apartment i left all the cables in the wall for a surround system installation. Since i finished my renovation now i want to buy the surrounf system. i need some help because there are a lot out thair and i dont know which one to choose. i really dont know if i need the blue-ray disk because i dont know what it is really, but i deffenitlly want the HDMI since it provides better quality since i would not want to spend a lot i would recomend to spend 300 dollars most( i really dont know the prices ). can anyone help me finding my DVD home theatre

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Drin. Welcome to HTF!

Let me get this straight: you want a DVD player?

This has gotten a little complex so let me try to break down the options:
  • DVD Player - This is your generic DVD player. It plays standard-video (480i) DVD disks. Many of them now offer Progressive-Scan output which tends to look better.
  • Up-converting DVD Player - This player often has a HDMI or DVI output and CLAIMS it is HD because the output is 720 or 1080. But it's a bit of a lie because the DVD player takes the ordinary 480i DVD's and up-converts every frame. This means it fills-in for data that does not exist. It's not really HD.
  • Blu-Ray & HD-DVD - These are new and there is a 'war' going on to see which format wins. There are only a few hundred titles out right now, but they are true HD disks. These players must use a HDMI cable for the copy-protection feature. The players range from $500-$800 right now and if you buy a HD-DVD player, you cannot play Blu-Ray disks. If you buy a Blu-Ray player, you cannot play HD-DVD disks.

My advice: get a decent $100 progressive scan DVD player and hook it up with component cables. Save your precious HDMI input for a CATV or SAT box that offers true 720/1080 material. (You will be shocked at how good it looks compared to DVD).

Keep an eye on the HD-DVD & Blu-Ray issue for the prices to drop, then pick one as an upgrade next year.

Just remember: a DVI or HDMI cable will not really improve your picture quality unless the SOURCE you are connecting is a HD source that pushes out 720 or 1080 signals.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks