What's new

Hi Definition signal question. (1 Viewer)

ChrisCosmo

Grip
Hi everyone, forgive me if this question has already been posted, as I searched but got little results from it, so i may have just missed it. I recently bought the Mitsubishi WS55311 and got my cable company to set up the HD cable box(its a motorola, have no idea of the model number, but havent really looked either). ESPN HD and the local CBS work fine since they are being broadcast in 1080i, but the fox station is broadcasting in 720p, and my TV is opting to display this signal in 480i. Is there a setting on the TV to make this signal be converted to 1080i or should that be handled by the cable box? If the cable box is the culpret, does anyone know how to change the settings on the HD box that comes with Comcast Cable? Thanks in advance!

JohnSch

Grip
The cable box does it - for example the comcast FAQ on their cable box says:
How do I know what format to set the decoder to?

The position of the switch really depends on your set.

The Native position will attempt to display whatever format is received. However, most HD televisions do not support all formats, so the "Native" position will likely not work for all channels and programs.

Most sets support either 480p or 720p, but usually not both. Whichever one your set supports will work for most programs. On these settings, however, a 1080i HD program will not be decoded properly and you will likely get a black screen or severe digital break-up.

True HD televisions support 1080ji, and this setting will display all channels, although standard definition programs will not fill the entire screen.

You can experiment with different switch positions to determine your preferred setting. Also, refer to your television Owner's Guide for more information.
So your box may either have a switch in the back or a setup option to control this - even OTA tuners (like my Samsung T151) have several options for how they output signals. You want to use the 1080i setting, if available - upconverted 720p looks fine at 1080i, at least on my panny.

ChrisCosmo

Grip
Thanks so much to all who replied...I'm going to look at it now to see if it has a switch and get the model number if it does not.

ChrisCosmo

Grip
Well, I looked all over the cable box and through the setup menus and there is no indication of this switch whatsoever. I called the cable company and asked about it, and all they said they could do was send a tech out to look at it. Even they dont know where this switch is evidently.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The Motorola box allows you to view the setup by pressing the menu button on the box when the box is powered off. The first line is the output format, for your TV is should be set to 1080i. This will convert all signals to 1080i. This is for the 5100dtc box. Any other box should have it's manual available at Motorola.com.

ChrisCosmo

Grip
Thanks Jeff, I went and checked the menu and it was already set to 1080i, but I was able to make all of the otehr channels come across the box in 480p, so that cleared up my cable picture alot on some channels, but the fox digital channel is still in 480. ill go to motorola and check out their site. Thanks again.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
ESPN HD and the local CBS work fine since they are being broadcast in 1080i, but the fox station is broadcasting in 720p, and my TV is opting to display this signal in 480i. Is there a setting on the TV to make this signal be converted to 1080i or should that be handled by the cable box?
Now this is very interesting, as Fox is not telecasting anything in 720p; only 480p. It is possible that your cable company is up-converting to 720p. Also I’m pretty sure that ESPN HD is in 720p; not 1080i, because ABC’s HD standard is 720p. Again your cable company might be converting (out local OTA ABC station in Dallas actually telecasts ABC programs in 1080i—they convert the 720p feed from ABC).

ChrisCosmo

Grip
Now this is very interesting, as Fox is not telecasting anything in 720p; only 480p. It is possible that your cable company is up-converting to 720p. Also I’m pretty sure that ESPN HD is in 720p; not 1080i, because ABC’s HD standard is 720p. Again your cable company might be converting (out local OTA ABC station in Dallas actually telecasts ABC programs in 1080i—they convert the 720p feed from ABC).
I may be incorrect, I read somewhere on the net that fox was in 720p, and was going with that info. The information could have been wrong. The ESPN is coming through in 1080, so if the broadcast is in 720, the box is doing what it should. One question though, is that not false advertising, for the cable company to say that it is FOX HD if the signal is only 480p? I am correct in understanding that 480 is not a hi def signal, correct? Or is this a placeholder signal until fox gets up on the HD bandwagon, as reading the network sites and other places seem to indicate that they arent in any real hurry to do so? Thanks for the help, i should probably call and cancel the tech coming out tomorrow, if you are certain that the espn is in 780p.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
ESPN's and ABC's native HD resolutions are both 720p. This may be converted by the cable system before it gets to your box, or by the box itself.

Fox's "HD" is actually called Enhanced Definition by Fox and is 480p with a 16/9 aspect ratio. This is only used for a few primetime shows and some sports, the rest of the time your Fox affilliate may just send 4/3 480i or 480p, with either pillarboxing or a station generated stretch.

My local CBS affilliate isn't equipped to pass the CBS HD signal yet, and is broadcasting only a 480i to 1080i upconvert with a station generated stretch instead of pillarboxing like most other stations when doing an upconvert.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I recall reading -- probably in the TV forum here -- that Fox has announced they will be going to 720p. Forget when.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks