Hi Def

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lee_eel, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Could any of you experts out there tell me if Hi-def film cameras are more prone to pixelation than normal 35mm when it comes to dvd? The reason i ask is direct digital transfers always seem to have more pixelation than standard transfers. Once upon a time in mexico has a lovely picture but the pixelation spoils it for me. I can say the same with AOTC. Also will next generation cameras eliminate this problem or is it inherent to the technology used? In all other aspects they look amazing.

2. Roger J

Roger J Stunt Coordinator

"Hi-Def" is not film, it is video. The new HD cameras that are being used on productions like Star Wars and Once Upon A Time In Mexico record their images electronically, but not on film. These "films" are printed onto film stock for commercial release.

The pixelation you see is on films like this are artifacts related to compression.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

You must be seeing some sort of compression artifact, or you have a hardware issue. HD images are 1920x1080, which is six times the resolution of DVD. Film may resolve a higher resolution picture than HD video, but both are vastly superior to DVD.

4. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Cheers guys[​IMG]