Hi-Def, HDCP and Older Projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by alan halvorson, Feb 7, 2004.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Until recently, I haven't been too concerned about Hi-Def sources, but now I'm starting to acquire knowledge. One of the topics I'm confused about is HDCP.

I know that HDCP is copy protection on the digital bitstream, and that to be able to use your digital outputs and inputs when the source is HDCP encrypted, your display and player must be HDCP compliant. But what if your display doesn't have a digital input (such as a CRT FP), it isn't HDCP compliant, or you're willing or prefer to use the analog outputs and inputs instead? Do you still get Hi-Def? If not, is there something I can buy or do right now to overcome this limitation before it's too late?

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

For the time being, you can always use analog connections instead and get Hi-Def for everything. The worry is that in the future, some select programming sources (probably PPV stuff, maybe premium movie channels, maybe HD-DVD) won't permit analog HD output. There's nothing you can do but get new equipment if that possibility comes to pass, and you wish to view those sources in Hi-Def. But there will always be plenty of Hi-Def still available via analog connections.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes this is an issue that has not yet been resolved, yet it hasn't turned into a real issue yet either, nobody is losing access to hi-def, since nothing is really using hdcp yet.