What's new

Hi-Def Camcorder question (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I assume that the best model to get would be a Huge version with a Hard Drive, and of course 16X9 recording support/screen.

But other than that, what's a good brand name model, of decent price, that's good to get?

I plan on implimenting Plan b for a new job, and It's going to require a camcorder of decent quality for archiving purposes. Might as well go HD :). Is there a good HD camera to be had for under $1000's? What specs should I look for?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Having just done some research on the subject with a similar budget, the consensus for current models seems to be the Sony HDR-SR1: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

However, in making the SD vs. HD decision with ~$1000 budget I just don't see consumer level HD being quite there yet IF you want good manual controls and A/V inputs and editing capability. The SR1 sounds great, but third party editing apps don't support the AVCHD recording format, thought that might be an inevitability if the format catches on. If you don't need microphone or headphone inputs but need to edit, then the Canon HV10 would probably be worth considering.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
But if you're looking for something real, then you're not in the right range... that seems to start at about $5000. Take a look at the Panasonic HVX-200 (I think thats the number.) Don't waste your time with the P2 cards, but get a Firestore hard-drive for it...

One of the major benefits is that HDV is an evil compromise format, recording only long-group Transport Stream. Something like the DVC-Pro-HD records in-frame only compression (HD at 100Mbits/second rather than HDV at 19.8Mbits/second) and is easy to edit.

Leo

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, I was afraid my only option might be above $1,000's in range.

That being said, I might as well look into upgrading my current camera. Does anyone know if all Rolling tripods fit with all current cameras made in the last year or so? I saw one at BB for 26$'s and you can't go wrong with that :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks