What's new

Hi-Def Cable DVR in San Antonio! (1 Viewer)

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to let everyone know that Time Warner now has a Hi-Def DVR. It's a Scientific Atlanta model. If anyone is familiar with the NTSC version of this DVR, let me just say this box seems to be much better.

I've only had it a day, but the pauses the old DVR used to make when channel surfing are practically non-existant with the new Hi-Def box. And the recorded media looks the same as a live feed. This, of course, pertains to the Hi-Def recorded media.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Wow...another Person from San Antonio!....

I cant stand Time Warner cable....but if you like ...great! Enjoy the Hi-def TV :)

Thomas

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm not happy with the cost of the service, or the fact that channels 2 through 77 are analog, but TWC has friendly customer service and it's easy to use them. I'm not planning on living here for more than a year, so it seems silly to have a lot of satellite equipment installed.

I have to say if VOOM had a DVR they offered free with service I'd jump on it. It'd be nice to have more than 12 Hi-Def channels. The DVR has made it better, tho. With a DVR you have more to watch since you can record and watch at your leisure.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
When we moved here we got Time Warner cable. Then every year, without fail, the rates would go up, far past the rate of inflation. When we got our house, bye-bye cable, hello DirecTV, and if those rates have risen in the past 5 years, I have to admit, then I haven't noticed it, which doesn't mean they haven't gone up, just that if they did, they were reasonable increases. I get a kick every year, out of reading in the Express-News about the double-digit cost increase for Time-Warner cable.

I'm glad their service is getting better, but they're still monopolistic gougers. Hell, I'm so disenfranchised with them I lived for a couple of years having to watch the local channels over the air, although DirecTV has now carried them for a long while, and I just got a letter from them that their rates for carrying the local channels are going down, and they're passing some of that on to customers, so my bill will actually be going down. I doubt if Time-Warner subscribers will be able to say the same thing.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
first time Ive seen 3 folks on here from S.A! whoooo hoo... yeah..TWC kept going out on us... constantly..we figured why bother. We have dish network and we have had only one rate increase in like 5 yrs... hehe..1.50/month. It hurt...but I got over it!

I will admit...if you have more then 3 tv's in the house...Cable is kinda the way to go.... (ouch..that hurt)

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm fed up with the rate hikes.

One thing that you get for your money is adaptability. I've had TWC change my service about 5 times in the past 3 months. Got a DVR, then Hi-Def, then returned Hi-Def, got Hi-Def back, returned DVR and Hi-Def and picked up a Hi-Def DVR combo. If I had made that many changes to satellite service I'd probably be broke from paying for all those boxes/ install fees. With TWC it's free unless you have them put the box in, then they MIGHT charge $10.00( only did this one time to me).

I was getting ready to cut the umbilical and go satellite until TWC came out with the free DVR box( The monthly fee of 6.95 is the same as for a regular set top box.) Satellite wants 1,000 for their Hi-Def DVR. Too steep for now.

Next house I probably will go satellite, but for now TWC is working for me.

BTW I don't know what satellite costs, but I have All the regular channels, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and all 30 of their variants, 12 Hi-Def channels, Video on Demand, High Speed cable access, two TVs hooked up, and Hi-Def DVR service for about $142.00 a month. I think that's pretty good when you consider the cable-modem is included.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Not bad I guess... One thing for sure...If you want to run Roadrunner...having the cable system is the way to go. WE were going to drop the locals on our sat and get them on TWC so we could get roadrunner at a reduced price...then TWC comes over...and says it will cost this+ this+ this to get everything going...I'm like...."thats not what I was told"..."what about free install"? ..after that...I again said Hell no to TWC... oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.