What's new

Hi Def and DirecTV (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I've had DirecTV for 3 yrs. and my Toshiba 50H81 for close to a year. Last week I learned that DirecTV is to start carrying our local channels by the end of the year. At first I was overjoyed, but then it got me thinking. All our locals (except the WB affiliate) are broadcasting in HD. I do not have an HD receiver yet. $$ is short, but that's another story ... YES, I KNOW I really need HD to enjoy the set. :)

Can someone tell me if local affiliates broadcast in HD over DirecTV, or is it at the locals discretion?

I'm trying to plan whether to buy a whole new satellite setup (receiver and dish), or a HD receiver. If the latter, then what's a good, cost effective receiver? (or this that an oxymoron? ;) )

Thanks!

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
At this time there are no local channels broacasting in HD on DirecTV and I doubt they will be adding any (way to many local markets) except perhaps the biggies like NY or LA.

If your locals are broadcasting in HD you can add an HD antenna to your setup and have the DirecTV receiver decode them for you. This would give you the best of both worlds, you locals in HD and DirecTV's HD offerings via a single receiver box.

Cheers,
Chris

MikeM

Screenwriter
Exactly what Christopher said.

You will not see Local markets shown in HD over DirecTV. The bandwith issues would be incredible, all for repeated material.

It's *possible* that you may see networks show HD material via a nationwide feed on DirecTV. For example, the Sunday Direct Ticket for NFL games is rumored to have at least 1 game per week in HD over DirecTV, but that has yet to happen.

As for your locals, your OTA antenna will do the trick and not cost any extra monthly fees.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Christopher,

I do not have a DirecTV HD receiver.I was under the impression that one had to have both the HD integrated DirecTV receiver and HD dish in order to get HD from DirecTV.

Could I just buy a regular, NON-DirecTV, High Definition Receiver and add it to the equipment I already have? I think I may be misunderstanding you ...

RobertSing

Agent
Your assumption in your 1st paragraph is correct - you need a new dish and new reciever to get DTV HD. Dishes are cheap, the boxes are expensive ($500 or so).

I'm confused by your last question ... why would you buy a non Direct TV HD receiver? If you don't want to get a Direct TV HD receiver, you could add an inexpensive ($50)over-the-air antenna and get local HD broadcasts. Strange that old rabbit ear technology works with the lastest and greatest, but that's how it works.

The only thing you wouldn't get would be cable channel HD - like HBO HD, Showtime HD, HDNET, and ESPN HD (assuming DTV adds this channel soon).

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
At the moment their is no way to record HDTV with a DirecTV HD receiver since none of them have a firewire connection. So if you ever want to time shift HDTV you would not want one of the current HD-DirecTV receivers. DirecTV has stated that a DirecTV HD-Tivo will be released in the fall. If its a reasonable price and has no restrictions on what you can record with it, I would recommend it. It can record all DirecTV channels both NTSC and ATSC along with terrestrial ATSC. They will not be putting a firewire connection on it which I'm afraid will be common with DirecTV receivers until the FCC either forces it or until market pressure forces it.

If you only want terrestrial ATSC channels you can get some fairly cheap, under $250, HDTV receivers that are first generation models. I remember that there have been a few posts about where to get them which hopefully someone else will remember :). They would not have a firewire connection but should work well unless the FCC allows broadcast flags in which case this years HDTV receivers would have the same risk of being affected as those made in 1998.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I’m sure the non-direct receiver was a nod to some posts concerning “Off the Air” HD.
To get All HD viewing available you need to cover two bases right now. Or you can use one method or the other to get a portion of the HD feeds currently available.

I have seen many posters mention buying a receiver which is only OTA capable just to receive HD through their Attic/Home Antenna and from local broadcasters. (Kinda funny right now…..(back on the roof tweaking away (unless you have a rotor) revamping all those old-fashioned antennas to get to HD), my rooftop antenna is out of whack and I have depended on Direct for all viewing, so I’m missing HD opportunities which are available to me.

Your Display purchase can be intregated (tuner built in) or HD capable (ready to receive it but necessitating a purchase an off-board receiver).
The tuner/receiver can come with the decoders for either a satellite HD signal OR be simply an OTA HD decoder. Most HD receivers now have both, so that it does double duty working with the Direct Channels and capable of capturing prime time locals OTA when broadcast in HD.

For primetime broadcasting in HD. You do only need an HD capable display, an HD OTA decoder, and your normal attic/rooftop antenna up and running well.
For Direct HD Channels (currently HDNET, and one each SHO/HBO) you will need an HD display, Direct HD capable receiver and the Dual HD Dish with triple LNB’S.

What’s confusing to some, is they see the “Broadcast in HD” on the banner when DirectTV sends the locals over the dish…but Direct has converted it (back into) the lower resolution Standard Definition.
They don’t want to send it over the Dish in HD because as pointed out it eats immense bandwidth. Depending on the resolution they can send 2 to 5 Standard Definition feeds over the same size channel that HD requires.

I’ve had several people pass through my Liv room when a HD banner is displayed on a Direct Dish fed local broadcast who know I have an HD display. And they comment “So that’s HD?” I have to tell them “GOODNESS NO!” and flip to HDNET or some such. I've got to get my rooftop antena back on line. I own the now discontinued RCA DTC100 which includes the Direct HD decoder and the OTA HD decoder.

AVSForum, did have a comprehensive guide to current/discontinued and upcoming STB and OTA HD receivers, with pricing. Just went and checked and could not locate. If I find it later I’ll add it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
William,
First call DirecTV and tell they you are wanting to upgrade to HD but Dish is offering some good deals. Get them to transfer you to customer retention. You can get a Phase III mutli-sat dish for $49.95 with installation. Push a little and get them to match their mover's special of $19.99 with installation. You can also ask for a credit on your account when you add an HD receiver. Some people have gotten up to $200.

You will need a UHF antenna since none of LR's stations are VHF digital. Depending on your location you may need a rotor also. Most stations have their antennas (antenni?) on Shinal (or is it Chenal) Mt. west of LR. KATV's antenna is south of LR in Redfield beside I-530.

For more recent info including a station engineer, check out this thread.

Finally, if you want some network channels over DirecTV for the convenience or so you can record on a DirecTivo you can pick up Memphis locals by "moving". Memphis locals are on transponder 4 and it should have a signal strength in the mid 90's in your area. When LR comes on-line it may share the transponder with Memphis or it may get a spot beam of it's own on the new satellite that will be positioned at 119.

-Robert

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Thanks to everyone concerning my post!! Now, if someone could recommend a good OTA High Definition Decoder, I'd appreciate it! :)

Robert_J-
Thanks for posting the link. But by the way it sounds over there, the market that I'm in is less than stable concerning the signals. It almost makes me NOT want to bother with a decoder at this time. What do you think?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What do you think?
For me it was worth it. I got my TV and HD receiver to watch the Sopranos on HBO HD and the Razorbacks play football on CBS. I was disappointed in the number of times CBS picked up the games. Currently I watch more network shows in SD off of my DirecTivo just because it is so convenient. I'll be in line around Christmas when DirecTV starts selling (hopefully) the HD DirecTivo.

-Robert

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony SAT-HD100. It can combine DirecTV, OTA digital and analog, and cable all into 1 box and 1 guide system. Very happy with it. This is an older model that is a little harder to find.

Cheers,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks