HI! and receiver recomendation?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave St Louis, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Dave St Louis

Hi folks, very nice forum here, sure seems to have some very knowledgable people here, and seems nice and laid back.

Anyway, just bought the start of a new system,NHT SB3s(4 of them),an SC2,and a SW10. Now I need a good receiver. After MUCH looking around, I have sort of desided on a H/K AVR525. Will this drive these well enough?? This seems like a fairly solid setup, opinions?

Thanks!

2. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

The H/K will drive them beautifully. I would have no worries with this system. I have the H/K AVR125 and it has more power than I need for my bookshelf speakers (Polk).

3. Eric Moore

Eric Moore Auditioning

I just bought the H/K525 last weekend. It should be plenty of power for you. The listed power seems low but it is much much more than my old pioneer that was rated the same wattage. Plus the sound is amazing. When I watched the matrix I could not believe the difference. I would recommend the H/K.

Eric

4. Dave St Louis

Thanks guys!This setup should have no problem with a wide range of music either?

5. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Look at the NAD T752 receiver. The H/K 525 is certainly no slouch, but I find the NAD T752 is much better where it counts most. The NAD does music and home theatre better, IMO. However, the NAD doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the H/K. It really depends on how much of that bell and whistle stuff you need.

The NAD also has a little more beef than the H/K. The NAD bench tests at 92wpc (full frequency range) with all channels driven.

If you can locate a dealer near you, give the NAD T752 an audition and try a side by side if possible. The NAD really shines with 2 channel music.

6. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have no problem from my favorite classical CD's (Mussorgsky-Pictures at an Exhibition) to my favorite hard rock CD's (Metallica and such). My DVD's all sound fantastic. I think you will like the 525, my 125 does everything I ask it to. I would imagine the 525 would be even better.

7. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Dave,

Nice selection on the NHT's. They should really sing for you when you get everything hooked up. As for receivers, in the price range you're looking at, it would be hard to pick up a dud. Pretty much everythign from Elite, Denon, H/K, Onkyo, Yamaha, NAD, Rotel, etc. should be adequate enough to drive your speakers. It really comes down to some nuances that you will hear from a sound perspective and what features the receiver has (including remote). I have an Elite 45TX running my NHT Evolution setup, and have no problems with power at all. Of course, I could probably substitute a Denon 3803, H/K 525, NAD, etc. in there and get very similar performance. That's my take on this receiver thing. Best of luck.

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Get either a NAD, like mentioned above, or a PIONEER ELITE!...both are better than hk. NAD is probably the most underappreciated reciever out there. They sound awsome!

9. Dave St Louis

Pioneer elite is WAY more money from what I have seen.

10. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

you can get the 49txi for 2399 on ebay. not a bad deal for what it is....

11. Dave St Louis

Yeah, but H/K i'm looking at is only $600!! [​IMG]

12. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Go for the H/K AVR-525. You won't be disappointed. I know I wasn't.

13. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

For the price the HK would be a great performer with your system. I would listen to the NAD before you shell out the $. I was really impressed with the sound. I thought it sounder "better" than the HK but if you want to go 6.1 or 7.1 you would need a separate amp. The HK also has more bells and whistles.

IMO the NAD T752 was 80% as good as my Rotel RSX for only 60% of the cost.

14. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Have a look at the lower models of the elite line. I didnt realize the price of the other receiver you were looking at....