hi all; questions about hitachi 65swx20b

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Thomass, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Mike Thomass

Mike Thomass Stunt Coordinator

new here, obviously
    i made an impulse purchase the other day,something i rarely do
    anywho, i did a quick price search and found i got a pretty good price from what other places were selling it for
    i bought a hitachi 65swx20b
    i then started looking for a forum to discuss this and future investments such as ht
    unfortunately i screwed up the registration process and was delayed a day
    anywho, if somebody in the know could give me any tips on the pros and cons of the model tv i boguht , please feel free, and dont be shy
    from what i read here so far it appears this model is going to be/has been replaced recently? does anybody here have the 65swx20b? is there any reason i would want to cancel the deal for this tv? (i havent received delivery as of yet, its scheduled for saturday)
    thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Welcome! I'm moving this to the Display Devices forum, which is the best place for inquiries about TV models.

A tip: When posting a thread about a specific piece of equipment, put the make and model in the thread title. I'll fix it for you.

M.

3. Mike Thomass

Mike Thomass Stunt Coordinator

nobody?

4. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

It's a darn good TV. Enjoy it.

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

If you need re-assurance of your purchase then...

Its one of the better rear projection TVs out there. A real gem. Enjoy!

6. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

Mike, I own the 57SWX and have no complaints, while researching Hitachi I found that the 61 and 65” share the same basic components, some posters claimed that the picture is not as good as the 51” or 57” because of the larger screen, yet others posters disputed this claim and are very happy with their larger sets, since 61” or 65” was to large for my area I never personally made this comparison in showroom.

The one criticism about this sets are the “Stretch modes”, some posters prefer the Toshibas and Mits better because of this, the new Hitachi line (S500) is said to have a few more bell and whistles and better stretch modes but basically the same PQ, personally I’m content with the 4/3 expanded mode and the 16/9 is nice too; AFAIK there are no “professional” published reviews of the new line yet while the SWX , TWX, and XWX lines are regarded as ‘reference’ sets by a few reputable publications, plus there is a wealth of proven tweaks online to fine tune your set if you desire.

If you got a very good price keep the SWX, they are excellent, but since the new line is available already check on the PQ/features on those while you can still exchange/upgrade your present set, you may be able to land the latest model at a comparable price. Do lots of reading here and in other forums because the new Hitachi models differences’ (F, G, S, upcoming X) are getting very hard to follow.

7. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

I own the 65SWX20B and its one of the better crt displays out there. From what I have heard so far the newer sets are not quite up to par with last years line from a pq standpoint. Enjoy the set [​IMG]

8. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I own a 57sxw Hitachi and I couldn't be happier with it's performance. [​IMG]

My opinion of pros and cons with the swx:

pro:
    "Best RPTV made for a weak signal feed (cable and satellite)"
    Since mainstream HDTV viewing is a few years off this was a HUGE factor in my decision making.
    "Exceptional picture 'with' a strong feed (HDTV and DVD)"
    IMO it offers the best of both worlds!

cons:
    Stretch modes are better on other sets.
    Toshiba and Mits do have the Hitachi beat in this area, although I too have heard the new 'S' series Hitachi has great stretchmodes, but the Hitachi SWX looks great too me. I have never had anyone view my set, while watching any program, say a word about the stretch modes.

Some RPTV's will give you a better PQ with HDTV and DVD's.
    The Hitachi looks exceptional with a strong feed but Pioneer and Mits have the best PQ IMO when viewing HDTV and DVD's. You have to pay a consider amount more for this slight (depending on the individual' taste) improvement in PQ though.

I would stay with the Hitachi line but it wouldn't hurt to try and take a peek at the new 'S' series if you can pick one up for a good price. So far, from what I have read, opinions on whether or not it's actually an improvement over last years model vary. The only way to know for sure is to check it out yourself.