What's new

Hi all... new to this whole HT stuff. (1 Viewer)

Mike Becher

Auditioning
I've recently gotten that itch for a great home theatre, and I really want to start with a great t.v. Muy budget may be a little low, but what are some nice choices that I could get for under $2000.00 I would really like something around 56" and have HDTV capabilities.

Also, what are some of the things to look for in a t.v.? I really just watch a lot of movies and that's it. What are the options that a regular guy that just wants a nice big crisp looking screen look for in the specifications of the t.v.?

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
hi Mike,how are you?
I would suggest to go with the 57HDX82 from Toshiba.Which is a very good TV in my opinion.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
for 2K..it's about $2.2K.

JVC 56AVP30 is about $2K...toshiba 57H82 is about 2K, SOny 57WS500 is about 2.2K, panasonics are well under 2K.

-ELmO

Mike Becher

Auditioning
Thanks guys! I've been looking at your suggestions and I noticed that, not that I didn't beleive you ;), but the panasonics are significantly cheaper than other brands. Are these units not as dependable? Is it a brand that just isn't up to snuff as far as projection tv's go?
Could someone please tell me what makes one tv better than another besides the size. What are some of the things that I should be looking for in a projection tv?
Thanks,
Mike

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Panasonics are just fine in terms of image and quality. Up until this year, they simply had a reputation as a set that looked really bad OOTB, but once properly set up, was one of the best looking units on the market.

Regards

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
In that price range I'd look at the Toshiba or the Mitsubishi's. If looking at Mitsu stay away from the Best Buy versions. They lack a few features from the regular models and aren't any cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks