HGTV Hometheater Special

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clark Rozier, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Clark Rozier

Clark Rozier Agent

[​IMG]
    Did you see that guy put barewire in the binding posts on that B&K?
    They spent all of that cash and couldn't spend a few more bucks for some good bannanas. [​IMG]
    Overall, the show was pretty decent. I've seen better setups on this board though.
    Any comments on the show?
    Clark

2. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Actually, bare wire isn't a bad connection at all. The biggest problem is corrosion... which bananas only reduce marginally, if at all.
    OTOH, bananas are a heck of a lot more convenient!!!
    Mike

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I saw the show a few months ago when it aired the first (or maybe second) time. It didn't really go deep enough for me, but it was a good intro to the folks who don't know about our hobby. I enjoyed watching some the construction of the home theater. I wish they would dedicate more shows to something like that. I'd record everyone of them and watch over and over. I want to see the nitty gritty details of construction a dedicated theater. I'm hoping our next house will be large enough that I'll be able to tackle such a project.
    Right now my home theater is sharing space with the living room so I'm pretty much limited to doing what my spouse finds acceptable. But she has let me know that if the theater has a room of it's own then I can do whatever I want (within budget). I'm drooling for that day to come!
    Bill
    ------------------

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

But what about those gold-plated bananas? Maybe the best connectors I own are some Monster Cable bananas, the kind that expand to make a really solid fit. The downside is that they were $25/pair when I bought them several years ago. But the show should have at least sprung for the $5.99 Radio Shack gold-plated bananas - as good as any.
    ------------------
    You Can't Roller Skate In a Buffalo Herd - Roger Miller

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I was very disappointed that this was a rerun of the show they had on a few months ago. I suspected that it was, but the previews weren't the same so I still had hope it might be a different show.
    Other than that, I thought it was a good show. They went in to more detail than they normally do when it comes to HT, but of course less than I would have liked. [​IMG]
    As for the bare wire speaker connectors, a lot of people prefer those to banana plugs.
    /Mike

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

7. Clark Rozier

Clark Rozier Agent

A few years ago (5 or so) they (HGTV) used to have a show dedicated to hometheater and entertainment. I think the show was called "That's Home Entertainment" or something like that. They had some pretty sweet systems on that show.
    The one I remember the most was, believe it or not, Fabio's system. He had a some HUGE stacked array of speakers (I don't remember what kind they were) and like 4 "Custom Built" Krell amps. The first time I saw his system, my jaw just dropped. Absolutely Beautiful!!!
    I don't know, if I owned a B&K (don't know what model it was 305 or 307?), I think I would spring for some WBTs.
    But, that's just me! [​IMG]
    Clark

8. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

"Clean" bare copper wire completely contained under a binding post will make no noticeable sonic difference than gold plated bananna plugs.
    The problems arise after the bare copper starts to corrode (even in the earliest stages... when the copper just starts to darken a little). So, for sustained good performance the gold bananna plugs (into tight sockets) are more desirable. And maybe that was the point you were making [​IMG]
    One thing I noticed on the HGTV episode was the "showcased" HT's had in-wall speakers?????? Almost as if the speakers were a "necessary evil" in the room.
    Certainly not a dedicated Home Theater if sound quality is scarificed simply for cosmetic reasons [​IMG]