HGS12 or Sunfire Sig?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Speights, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

I am totally getting ahead of myself here. (I have an upgrade path I am TRYING to follow but this little exercise is a ways off.)

Still, I thought it might spark some discussion about SMALL subs and how effective/ineffective they are. With SAF considerations and all i thought there may be some folks (besides me) who get some value out of it.

The HGS looks to be a little larger than the Sunfire but still manageable. The Sunfire (while petite) doesnt handle the higher bass frequencies very well. I am running the Mk II now so I am familiar with the limitations of the Sunfire (good at

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think ti would depend on the finish line you have set.

The HGS12 would undoubtedly have less distortion, but the SIG is going to generate more overall SPLs. I think they have a different sonic signature though. In other words if you really like how the mkII sounds(but just want more of it)...the SIG might be a good choice.Maybe you can audition a HGS12 for a weekend and compare it to the mkII?

btw--onecall has the spl1200 for $749 refurbed. Now sure what the dimensions are but it's not very big. I'm guessing it would have a little more output capability than the hsg12.

TV

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Christian,
    In case you're interested, I know a full service authorized dealer who can get you the HGS-12 for 30% off list including shipping. Email me if you're interested.
    Regards,
    Randy
    [email protected]

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, if you can swing an SS aesthetic and $$$ -wise, I'm sure it would walk all over the other two subs you mentioned with the pod race scene. I think there's supposed to be some 12Hz bass in there [​IMG]
    I think there's something called the "Earthquake" that's a similar design to the Sunfire. You might look into that.

5. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Yes TV - onecall still has them. And I believe the SPL1200 and the HGS 12 are pretty much the same size - maybe an inch or two of difference. Christian, you should take a look at this sub, especially for this price! It is incredible for the size.
    I have the SPL1200 - and it is more than enough bass for me. I am sure an SVS would put out more, but that would only come in to play if I was listening at loud volumes. I usually listen between -10 to -20 db below reference on movies. My SPL1200 can easily hit those levels in my room.
    I am interested, though, TV on your claim that an SPL1200 might have more output than HGS 12. Why is that? Is it the servo in the HGS 12 limiting it (I thought the SPL had some sort of servo - the DDCS)? Or is it because the SPL1200 is the top of the line in the SPL series, and the HGS is middle of the pack in the HGS series? I was really looking hard between the HGS 12 and SPL1200, but the price at onecall sold me on the SPL1200, and if it has a little more output to boot, I am even happier! I would assume that the HGS would be cleaner than the SPL, not that the SPL is bad,

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bryan,
    I think the general consensus is that anything below 10% THD is inaudible.
    Brian
    P.S. You spell your name wrong! [​IMG]

7. Bryan Acevedo

Brian - do you really want to get into a debate about this?
    Everyone knows that spelling Bryan with a Y is the correct way, and makes you a true audiophile! [​IMG]
    It's funny, if I look at my name mispelled by somebody with an I, it's like a totally different name to me, probably like it is for you and a Y!
    I had heard the general rule was 10%, but I wonder what an HGS gains over an SPL then (as far as the 12" goes) if one is 1% and the other is 5%.
    Bryan

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bryan,
    I've always thought of spelling it with a Y as being feminine. Now don't take that the wrong way! The reason I say that is because I went through school (in the same homeroom every year) with a girl who's last name was Bryan so I always think of her when I see it spelled that way.
    I don't imagine you're nearly as cute as she was though![​IMG]
    BrIan

9. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I am interested, though, TV on your claim that an SPL1200 might have more output than HGS 12. Why is that? Is it the servo in the HGS 12 limiting it (I thought the SPL had some sort of servo - the DDCS)? Or is it because the SPL1200 is the top of the line in the SPL series, and the HGS is middle of the pack in the HGS series? I was really looking hard between the HGS 12 and SPL1200, but the price at onecall sold me on the SPL1200, and if it has a little more output to boot, I am even happier!25hz.
    >>>I would assume that the HGS would be cleaner than the SPL, not that the SPL is bad, "As far as I am concerned, the only level is reference level." A quote from my wife

10. Bryan Acevedo

Thanks TV - I didn't realize how close the SPL1200 was to the HGS 15 in performance (>25 Hz anyway). Is 90db at 20Hz considered pretty good? That is in TN's large room, and my room is a little smaller (around 4000 cubic feet), so I assume I get a db or two more out of it. I know a dual SVS package can get much more, but I am just wondering what a good number would be. Like >85, >95, >100?

If I listen at -15db below reference, which is what I do during a "loud" listening session, -20 is more of the norm, my sub only needs to be able to hit 90 db for the main channels and 100db for LFE. So together that means 106db, correct? But during normal listening it only needs to be able to hit 101db peak. This is assuming of course a full blown bass hit in all channels plus an LFE with +10db boost. Are there any soundtracks that even have that much content? LFE can be anywhere from 0 to 10 db higher, but that doesn't mean it is always 10 db higher, right? Even the THX Ultra intro, does that have bass in all channels at full volume plus LFE at +10 volume?

I am just trying to figure out what would be a good demo for full reference level bass (I mean a full 121 db for the sub).

Bryan

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think some of this info may apply to the original question as well.

And yes - the wife is definitely a keeper!

11. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Thanks TV - I didn't realize how close the SPL1200 was to the HGS 15 in performance (>25 Hz anyway). Is 90db at 20Hz considered pretty good?> That is in TN's large room, and my room is a little smaller (around 4000 cubic feet), so I assume I get a db or two more out of it. I know a dual SVS package can get much more, but I am just wondering what a good number would be. Like >85, >95, >100? Even the THX Ultra intro, does that have bass in all channels at full volume plus LFE at +10 volume?