HGS10 or REL strata III

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald Shrum, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

OK, Next to me I have a Velodyne HGS10 series II and a REL Strata III. I get to pick one and sell one. I have listened to both subs and I am having a VERY hard time deciding. The REL for music is superb but the HGS is not far off. The HGS for movies is Amazing, the REL is not far off. I am stuck. Can I get your opinions?

Donald

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

What do you do more of, music or movies?
    Which is cheaper?

3. Donald Shrum

Both same price and I do the same of both. I listen to music and also movies. Looks like I might be keeping the HGS because of cosmetics. Unless you guys tell me other wise.

Donald

4. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

Go to a REL in the cherry finish... it may make you change your mind about cosmetics ;-)

I have decided to keep my REL and build a DIY sub for double HT duty to get the best of both worlds.

M.

5. Donald Shrum

I know how perty the REL is, I have it already. How does the REL do for movies?

Donald

6. Raymond D'amato

I HAVE 2 REL STRATTA 111 . I LIKE THEM VERY MUCH.
    BUT I LISTEN TO MOSTLY MUSIC. I HAVE HAD MANY SUBS OVER THE YEARS AND I FIND THEM THE MOST MUSICAL. BTW MY SYSTEM CONSISTS OF B&W N804'S ,N805'S & HTM1 CENTER.

7. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Personally, I would go for the REL, because of its greater ability to blend in with speakers through that hook-up method they use. Great technical description there[​IMG]
    This way you could use it either as your LFE sub and/or low bass augmentation for the front mains. More flexible.

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Who's got the better warranty?
    or just flip a coin ! [​IMG]
    Sometimes it's cool to leave decisions to chance.

9. Donald Shrum

Well after listening to music, The REL definitely blended much nicer than then the HGS. But as soon as I popped a movie in, The REL's chances went "pop" Literally. Well the sub didn't pop but it sure couldn't hang in movies the way i wanted it too. I played ID4 on the opening scene where they show the moon, I spent 5 or so hours moving it, placing it in different areas of the room. Just couldn't get it to impress in movies. When i played Pleasentville movie, when they are in the dinner, There is some Miles Davis in the background, the HGS was a little boomy and the REL was so perfect it made me sick.
    I am going to keep the HGS cause I do 50/50 and the HGS matches my room better but I have definitely heard a beautiful sub. Wish I could afford both of them. The REL is now up for sale. Check the sale forum

Donald

10. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

Listen to Velo SPL series...much tighter and less muddy than the HGS, and cheaper too. I had both and much happy with the SPL1000. Movies are AWESOME with the SPL.

11. Murali Kalapala

For the price of a REL Storm III. You can get a wood veneer Paradigm Servo-15. It does'nt blend as well as the Rel does for music but it's definately better than going with a Velo HGS-10.

I wanted to buy a Storm III, however it just does'nt have the "Oomph" needed for a movie experience. I think a Stenor would be really nice in my room(3000 cu.ft) however I don't have that kind of money. So I settled for the Servo-15.

Kris