What's new

HGS10 or REL strata III (1 Viewer)

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
OK, Next to me I have a Velodyne HGS10 series II and a REL Strata III. I get to pick one and sell one. I have listened to both subs and I am having a VERY hard time deciding. The REL for music is superb but the HGS is not far off. The HGS for movies is Amazing, the REL is not far off. I am stuck. Can I get your opinions?

Donald

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Both same price and I do the same of both. I listen to music and also movies. Looks like I might be keeping the HGS because of cosmetics. Unless you guys tell me other wise.

Donald

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Go to a REL in the cherry finish... it may make you change your mind about cosmetics ;-)

I have decided to keep my REL and build a DIY sub for double HT duty to get the best of both worlds.

M.

I HAVE 2 REL STRATTA 111 . I LIKE THEM VERY MUCH.
BUT I LISTEN TO MOSTLY MUSIC. I HAVE HAD MANY SUBS OVER THE YEARS AND I FIND THEM THE MOST MUSICAL. BTW MY SYSTEM CONSISTS OF B&W N804'S ,N805'S & HTM1 CENTER.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Personally, I would go for the REL, because of its greater ability to blend in with speakers through that hook-up method they use. Great technical description there:)
This way you could use it either as your LFE sub and/or low bass augmentation for the front mains. More flexible.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Who's got the better warranty?
or just flip a coin ! :D
Sometimes it's cool to leave decisions to chance.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Well after listening to music, The REL definitely blended much nicer than then the HGS. But as soon as I popped a movie in, The REL's chances went "pop" Literally. Well the sub didn't pop but it sure couldn't hang in movies the way i wanted it too. I played ID4 on the opening scene where they show the moon, I spent 5 or so hours moving it, placing it in different areas of the room. Just couldn't get it to impress in movies. When i played Pleasentville movie, when they are in the dinner, There is some Miles Davis in the background, the HGS was a little boomy and the REL was so perfect it made me sick.
I am going to keep the HGS cause I do 50/50 and the HGS matches my room better but I have definitely heard a beautiful sub. Wish I could afford both of them. The REL is now up for sale. Check the sale forum

Donald

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Listen to Velo SPL series...much tighter and less muddy than the HGS, and cheaper too. I had both and much happy with the SPL1000. Movies are AWESOME with the SPL.

For the price of a REL Storm III. You can get a wood veneer Paradigm Servo-15. It does'nt blend as well as the Rel does for music but it's definately better than going with a Velo HGS-10.

I wanted to buy a Storm III, however it just does'nt have the "Oomph" needed for a movie experience. I think a Stenor would be really nice in my room(3000 cu.ft) however I don't have that kind of money. So I settled for the Servo-15.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.