HFR Reports DVD-A hybrids nearing delivery

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Kotches, Jan 20, 2003.

1. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I am merely passing along information gathered from Philip Brandes' CES report at High Fidelity Review, read the details here.

So much for SACDs hybrid advantage if this report proves to be true.

Regards,

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Lee,

Wouldn't it be embarassing for Sony if Warner made it to 10 hybrid titles released first, given that Sony had a 3+ year head start to market with potential for delivery of hybrids?

If the goal is pumping out stereo titles, then yeah Sony can do a better job of pumping out the same old, same old.

Want to count multi-channel titles for each label and tell me what the counts are?

Of course, the possibility that WB might release stereo only titles for artists that don't want catalog releases remixed as 5.1 could open up a large number of catalog releases, which so far haven't been slated for MC release.

Regards,

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    John, Sony's dismal handling of the whole hybrid thang...has made me wonder if the only reason Sony is going hybrid is because of the DVD-A announcement and maybe a wee, little bit the Stones discs. Am I cynical??? Si, oui, ya, aye, you betcha! Consumer requests and desires have played so little with Sony. I think if it wasn't for the DVD-A hybrid thang that they'd foolishly string the market along for even longer with their single-layer discs. I wonder how long this switch-over is gonna' take too?

It gets harder and harder over time to take the music industry seriously. Every time they come out of their little secret labratories, where they're busy purr-fecting copy-resistent product, their clownish little spokesperson, who bears a striking resemblance to Tokyo Rose, atleast in attitude...comes out and insults the general public. Yeah...!

Sony and Universal both piss me off so much, I almost wish I preferred DVD-A to SACD? [​IMG] Best wishes!

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, I assume they knew about the DVD-A thang well before we did. Industrial spying, eh, old chap! What gnaws at me is Sony's and the rest of the big five's contempt for their market. Every announcement by "Tokyo Rose" down at the RIAA gets my ire up. Cynical is too easy to get...[​IMG] Best wishes!