What's new

Hey, what do you guys think of the Star Trek First Contact DVD? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Subject.
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The "movie" bonus feature is great. So are the bonus "interactive menus" and "language selection" features.
------------------

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
If you just want the movie (or want something to watch for next couple of years), go for it. It's a quality presentation, anamorphic with a good 5.1 track.
If you're into buckets of goodies and hate buying the same movie twice, wait a couple of years. Paramount's going to through the movies chronologically and re-release them with bonus features. It'll take awhile to get to First Contact, since Wrath of Khan won't be out until next summerm (or so it's rumoured).
Ryan

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to know what folks think about the DD 5.1 audio track. I think the track is a good one with excellent use of the rear speakers but I also think the bass is a bit lacking especially in the opening space battle sequence Spoiler: when the Borg cube blows up. It seems to me that there should be a little more oomph in that particular scene. And before anyone asks, my system is set up correctly and I don't have any other bass problems with any of my other discs. That is really my only complaint and would like to hear what others think.
------------------
My Home theater

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I didn't notice any lack of bass impact with the LaserDisc, I think this is a fantastic Dolby Digital Laser.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Philip, do you by chance have the DVD to compare it with the laser?
Right before the explosion occurs the Enterprise fires off about 3 or 4 torpedos. This action is predominately located in the center channel. These torpedo blasts seem to carry more low end punch than the explosion, it just seemed weird and gave me the impression that some low end info was missing or that they created the mix that way on purpose for whatever reason. Bass is pretty good throughout the rest of the movie just that one scene in particualr seems strange to me.
------------------
My Home theater

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Nice reference DVD. Of all the Star Trek movies I had on DVD, it is the only one that I kept.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the DVD vs LD audio comparison:
I noticed pretty much the same thing I've noticed with a LOT of LDs and DVDs - that the LD has a bit more low-end wallop to it.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Nathan,
I thouroghly enjoyed it! "The Borg" IMHO represent the best of the Trek Baddies! A really awesome DD 5.1 track too. Just think of the possibilities when a 2 disc SE is Done of "Star Trek First Contact"? The Ultimate would be Paramount's full Support of dts by the time this film gets the SE treatment. BTW All of the Star Trek Movies will get the SE treatment. Next in line after "Star Trek The Motion Picture" will be "Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan". Paramount will be revisiting the movies for SE treatment by order of theatrical release. DTS Please!!!
------------------
Ed Vandeweerd
[email protected]
my collection

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's a great DVD for the film itself. I own it because I can't wait too long for the rerelease.
I would like to see the extended directors cut on the new SE.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Troi: "This is a very primitive culture. I'm just trying to blend in."
Riker: "You're blended, all right."
------------------
"For Montagar, forever!"

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
If you liked the movie, you must have the DVD. Like everyone said a SE is coming, but it's probably going to be a while.
This DVD was the first one I played after I got my 5.1 setup, and it blew me away.
------------------

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Heehee..complaining that the space scenes don't sound right! You do see the irony don't you?
laugh.gif

------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I often use the first major space battle sequence as a demo for 5.1DD and picture quality (awesome greens).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Laser sounds great. The bass is not super high like Event Horizon or anything, but the soundtrack is definitely up to par with anything out there. Looks great too! Good stuff!
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to all this, and have not done a 56 point convergence although I've done the 9 point, and the basic AVIA tests, AND done a bit of minor work with the 56 point, at least as much as I could figure out how to do in about an hour (not very much.)

I notice a certain....graininess to this picture. *Particularly* in the scenes inside the Enterprise. I'm not even sure what the proper term would be. I see it in the scanned picture on Phil's web site. Look just to the left or the right of the Borg queen's head. See how the colors see somewhat pixelated? If you hit the zoom button it's REALLY bad. I might be just obsessing over my new equipment or really seeing something, but to me it really was noticeable and distracting.

I quickly popped in Dark City and Gladiator DVDs to see if what I was seeing was present in those pictures. I would say it's there but about 10-15 percent as bad as what I see in this DVD.

Also, for a stupid question, there are two sound selections on this DVD - "English Dolby Surround" and "English 5.1 Surround." While I initially picked 5.1, I thought that I had done wrong and switched to "English Dolby Surround" due to the somewhat lacking bass as mentioned above. Usually I see a "Dolby Digital" selection and that's what I pick. It sounds like I picked the wrong one. Why wasn't the best quality selection the first one? I guess I'm still confused.

PS I love this movie. I'm a Trek fan but not an obsessed one. This movie flat out rocks.

PPS I am using a JVC 75 DVD, a Toshiba 61H71 and a Kenwood HTB504.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks