What's new

Hey Universal, can we get a James Whale collection? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
The only James Whale films that have been easily available over the years are his four horror films, but he's got some other wonderful films that deserve to be widely seen. Where are DVD releases of Remember Last Night?, Show Boat, One More River, Impatient Maiden, By Candlelight, Port of Seven Seas (a movie which has not been seen in long, long time), and The Man in the Iron Mask? These are great films that deserve to be on home video and DVD. Though Universal has proven to us how incompetent they are in the world of DVD, so I guess it's no good hoping.

Charles H

Screenwriter
PORT OF SEVEN SEAS was an MGM remake of Pagnol's FANNY (trilogy?) with a script by Preston Sturges. I have requested it several times to TCM, but I wonder if it is lost or if there is a "rights" issue. It has a fascinating cast (Wallace Beery, Frank Morgan, John Beal, Maureen O'Sullivan, Jerry Colonna).

The Joshua Logan WB remake of FANNY (1961) would be a good bet for restoration on dvd and has many virtues (Cardiff photography, Boyer, Chevalier, and a great score derived from a Broadway musical version). KINO is bringing out a 4 disc boxed set of the original trilogy plus a disc of perks on 6/15..

As a big Preston Sturges fan, has anybody ever seen the 1938 PORT OF SEVEN SEAS?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks