Hey Todd Stone - Thoughts on the Kenwood VR-509? Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Hey Todd or Anyone Else -

I've been debating on either getting a Onkyo 595 or a Kenwood VR-510... Now I'm back looking at the VR-509...

What are your first impressions of the AMP?

What speakers are you running with the AMP?

Did you try any Onkyo's to compair? Or did you just see "Kenwood" and "$299" and "WOW Open Box for $229"?

The Speakers I'm looking at run around $699.00 and he gave me a price for a Kenwood VR-510 with the Jamo Speakers for $1079.00... And then a Price for the Onkyo 595 and the Jamo Speakers for $1,029.00...

I plan on bugging him today and asking for a price for the Kenwood VR-509 and the Jamo's... If it's $800-$900, I might just save my $$$$$$$ and get the VR-509... I am not convinced that the Onkyo sounds $129+ better than the Kenwood VR-509. Or the VR-510 sound $179.00 better than the 509.

I know this guy is a good guy, but I have a hard time 100% believing him all the time... He told me that he would get the Onkyo 595 over the Kenwood VR-509, and that he would get the Kenwood VR-510 over the Onkyo 595... Weird... I think it's more like "get the one that cost's more"...

Thanks for your input!!!

Bill

2. ColinW

ColinW Agent

Bill,

I have the VR509 and I run Polks all around and a small Polk 8" sub. I did not try any Onkyos, as I have used Kenwood in the past and I liked them. The sounds from the amp is very good for what I am using it for which is home theatre. I have my theatre in an apartment and I don't need a huge system, so my sub/satellite Polk system driven by the Kenwood suits me perfectly. I also have a second setof larger speakers (Infinity SM82s) connected to the B speaker output. The Kenwood is plenty powerful to make these boom and I have had nothing but good experiences. The 509 has a great programmable remote, and a good circle surround and DPLII listening mode.

I am sure you would be pleased with this unit. I was impressed with the amont of features for the price when I got it, and I am even more impressed now that you can get it cheaper. I would say go for it.

Colin

3. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

I have the VR 509 and am very happy with it. The programable remote is great. Make sure it is in the open box. I like the DPL II also.

Only thing I'd change is having the input selection on the remote.

I have JVC 65GD DVD-A player. When playing movies I like to use the bitstream (so I can use the DPL II on DPL sources) but for DVD-Audio I need to use the 5.1 input.

This means hitting the button on the reciever to change the source.

Peter

4. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your input!!!