Hey SVS guys, How to safely use my 20-39CS+ with a BFD as a subsonic filter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy_K, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

I've heard that the PC and PCi series subs have built in limiters or subsonic filters to prevent damage. The passive CS, CS+ and Ultra models do not. Obviously there is an advantage to both.

Due to recent trends in HOT DVDs like LOTR and AOTC, I'm thinking I should set a filter or two on my BFD to help save my 20-39 cs+ from destroying itself. I don't want to lose all my awesome extension down low, but I don't want to break my sub either. I find no current need for the port-blockers, so I don't use them. I have plenty of extension at 16hz at my listenning position - same as 20hz without EQing.

What would be a good solution? Is this even possible with the BFD? I want to safely crank my system to exploit my sub's possibilities without worrying about damaging it.

Thanks,
    Troy

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The only way to cut lower frequencies than 20Hz is to cut 20Hz with a filter and use other filters to bring back up the 20Hz and up frequencies. It will take a lot of time and experimenting and probably your entire filter bank. My advise is to just deal with the low frequencies. Going to so much trouble for just a couple DVD's isn't worth it IMO.

You could just get a subsonic filter or have one built for you.

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

You could just purchase a 20Hz line-level high pass. Parts Express has one (item #266-246).

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter