Hey Projector Guru's!! Lend a quick hand...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by LaMarcus, Nov 18, 2003.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Is this projector better than the Panasonic PTl300u?

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

For home theater? Probably not. As a business projector for presentations? Probably.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

LaMarcus,
    What are you looking to get out of a projector?

4. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Are you planning this PJ for movies? If so, that Infocus is native 4:3 where the 300u is 16:9.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The one thing in the Panasonic 300U's favour for HT is the contrast ratio of 800:1 contrast ratio compared to 400:1 for the Infocus unit

The aspect ratio is not as major in this case since the Infocus has a higher resolution of 1024x768 thus a movie with a 1.77:1 aspect ratio will display as 1024x576. The same film will be displayed on the Panny with an on-screen resolution of 960x540 which is close. Mind you, the L300U does have technology that reduces the pixel structure, something the Infocus would not have.

The major point of contention here is the contrast ratio. 400:1 is a fairly low spec, especially today, so your blacks will display fairly gray. The L300U doubles up on this spec with an 800:1 contrast ratio.

LaMarcus, how much are you willing to spend on a projector? There are some new announcements like the Panny 500, the Sanyo Z2, or the more expensive Sony HS20 that is around $2700 which is a LOT of projector for the money.

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

PJ will be for movies only!

I'm kinda tight on money right now, I keep doing speaker upgrades and this and that. My couches financing period is ending the end of Dec so I have to give them 3 grand. If not for the freaking couches I would have already bought the Panny 300.

So, trying to get a projector before december, it would be a cheapy at around $1200 tops. But if for one time in my life if I could dislpay some patence, I could wait till around Feb. and spend about $2500 on a pj.

But I will be going to Sound Waves this weekend, their having a HT sale and talking about financing for 12 months. If that turns out good, I'll be back with questions about some good pj's.[​IMG] I love having credit. [​IMG]

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Yep, nothing beats free money for a year or so. We buy all major purchases with interest free / payment free financing. All we do is pay it off several months before the end date.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Ya got that right Ron [​IMG] NO interest No payments is my goal in life.[​IMG]

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    LaMarcus, me of all people want to see you get hooked on a nice pj but if the decision is a $1200 pj now or a $2500 one just a mere 3+ months from now then please [​IMG] do yourself a favour and wait the 3 months. I am sure the Sony HS20 could be had for around that by then. And even if you don't decide on that particular model, you would get a far better projector that could last you longer without the need to upgrade sooner rather than later.

11. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Dammit Neil! You just had to be the voice of reason.[​IMG] [​IMG] Ron had me about to buy the Panny 200 since he says the PQ compares to the 300 in terms of DVD watching.

But you do make a lot of since saying to just wait. But as you know, I've been waiting all this year, and really since I bought this BIG ASS tv. Only if we could turn back the hands of time, I could have a nice $3000 PJ.[​IMG]

12. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Usually I tell people to wait and buy the absolutely best product they can afford, because with HT we all know how much we end up upgrading anyway - buy the cheaper thing now and end up paying more later when you buy the better, more expensive thing anyway...You would have saved money if you just bought the best you could afford to begin with.

That's what I tell people, but when it comes to FP, that's not what I did...

I knew better models were coming out in my price range, but after waiting literally YEARS to get a FP, I just couldn't wait anymore, damn it! I could shell out $1200 for a Z1 now and just avoid reading all those Z2 threads that were going to start pouring in any day now...And that's exactly what I've done. I bought what I could afford at the time and when I see a thread about the new AE500 or the HS20 or whatever I just keep walking right on by...And you know what? I'm happy. My Z1 is a HUGE step up from what I had before, and it sure makes the friends and family happy when we have movie night...Will I upgrade again? Yeah, my guess would be eventually I will, but not for a couple of years, maybe when I strike it rich. Point is, I'm happy right now, I could agonize over other better projectors out there, and the better ones that will be right behind those, I could wish I'd waited longer and saved up more money, but then I'd still be watching widescreen movies on my 27-inch TV and movie night just wouldn't have the same thrill. Now I have my own THEATER (which is what a lot of people say when they come over) and I'm happy - and my WIFE is happy, so what more could I want? You gotta step off the merry-go-round some time...

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

[angel]don't get it[/angel] [​IMG] [/devil]you know you want it, so get it[/devil]..........

[angel]you can wait it's ok[/angel] [​IMG] [devil]waiting is for loosers, you need a pj now!!![/devil]

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG]...and the torment continues.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

16. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

To think I was going to go with a 51" RPTV.....thanks alot Ron, Neil and whoever else swayed me into FP on this forum.......Now I have a 92" screen and Love every minute of it.....[​IMG]

17. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I just recently looked at two projectors, demoed both the Infocus X1 and a Piano model. The Pianohad a 4x color wheel and there was a noticible difference. Where I saw slight Rainbows on the X1, I saw none on the rainbow. However the Piano had a slightly softer picture and more light overspill. Since Rainbows(when I see them infrequently) do not really bother me I am going to go for the X1 I think. FOr the money I can't see getting a Better PJ

18. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"FOr the money I can't see getting a Better PJ"

IF rainbows don't bother you, then that is definitely the consensus on the X1. No better buy for the money.