What's new

Hey Phil how come you went with the S26 vs the S38? or even S36? (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Do you consider one superior to another? Asthetic reasons?

I'm still on the fence with the Klipsch vs JBL's ... almost ... JBL ...

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Four reasons (in order of consideration):
1) Right Rear Surround space consideration! - the S38 & S36 won't fit here, and my priority was at least four identical speakers anchoring the Fronts & Surrounds! Think, 360-degree, seamless timbre match surround sound!
2) Cost vs. performance - budget! ;) Hearing, ... is believing!
3) Crossover dips @ the crossover points - more of an issue w/poorly designed 3-way x-over components (though, not true w/JBLs) vs. 2-ways (S26 x-over @ 2 kHz)
4) Imaging qualities - been using satellite / sub (passive & power) for 21 years** or so, and IMHO found the imaging far superior than the floorstanding offerings. Consider the S26 as a large satellite, but it's imaging qualities is as good as the highly reviewed JBL N24.
That's about it! Sounds glorious w/my SVS 25-31PCi!!! :D
**Bought the highly reviewed*+* Design Acoustics DA-30 Stereo-trio around 1981 (*+*by Stereo Review - Julian Hirsch owned a set),
- DA-10 Satellite : 1" soft-dome / 5" mid
- DA-20LF: 12" dual voice coil woofer Passive Sub.
My son now uses it in his bedroom! When we remodeled our bedrooms, we used RC Channels and R19 Insulation in my sons 4 walls and ceiling! Use a solid core door to help out minimize the SPL's (he also had a Tama Rock Drum set in his room too!) Forgot about the floor, so when he's rocking, we can feel the sub thru the floor boards! :frowning:
Didn't update this setup until around 1997 (that's when my son got the DA-30), when I finally upgraded to a DPL HT setup - JBL J-Series.
So in my case, it was a personal preference! If you got the room, budget, etc., get the CEA Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Award Winner JBL S38's!!!!
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks