What's new

Hey Patrick (1 Viewer)

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
I think I have the same painting problem you had on Sonosub III. I used Black enamel, I spent a lot of time wet sanding etc and on my last coat it gave the same bad finish :angry:
Anyways here is what I did
Sand and fill the MDF.
Prime.
Sand and fill more
Prime.
Wet sand Primer.
Paint black.
up to this point it was awsome .. and about 7 days worth of work. I then wet sanded the black paint and right away I got that awful finish. This was ALL with enamel. Same brand for both the back paint and primer.
Anyways long story short. I would love to know what happend, but anyways I bought some textured paint and will go that route. Kinda upset about all the time wasted but oh well.
Ted

A

Anthony_Gomez

Ted, I did what you did, but with black laquer and it worked out great. Maybe the enamel just doesn't sand well in general.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Enamel dose not sand very well unless it has had a good amount of time to dry. If you haven't painted over it yet try force drying it if you have a way to do it. What I always do is crank the heat all the way up in my garage for about 2 to 3 hours with it blowing across the part that I've painted. This will help cure the paint out plus with the air moving over it it will help to wick off the styrene in the paint ( which is what will make it sticky ). After you have had it in there for awhile turn the heat off & allow it to cool down overnight in the same spot before doing anything else to it. You wont get quite as deep of a look with the enamel as what lacquer will give you but if its done right you can get pretty close & a more durable finish.

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Ok the textured is done. It looks really good and my father (who I share a house with) likes it much better anyways. I did let it dry overnight. A total of 19 hours. I then let it dry (the water from the wet sand) for 7 hours. It should have been dry enough.
Oh well next time I'll try lacquer. I do have lots of sonotube and port material left :D
Thanks
Ted

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about your problems.

The best thing to do (if you're not sure of paint interaction is to do the process on a piece of scrap MDF and see what happens). But hindsight is 20/20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks