1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Old School Rockers: Get Born....GET JET!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chet_F, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Picked up the new Jet - Get Born for 6 or 7. I rarely like an ENTIRE CD the first time I take it for a spin. But Jet got me the first time around. They have a great sound...it is not the HIGH polished music of today. I'd give it a try if you like the stripped down version of ROCK N ROLL ala Black Crowes(first cd). I wish more artists would revert back to this style. I believe they are from New Zealand - you can tell by the way they sing. Here's a link:

http://www.elektra.com/elektra/jet/f...o_2667547.html

Try them out and considering it's only $6-7 new it's really not much of a risk. Someone from this board(I forgot sorry) gave the recommendation. And to him I tip my hat and say YOU ROCK!!

Chet

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I love the album as well, great mix of rock and ballads. They list their influences as The Beatles, Stones, AC/DC. Excellent album and at $6 US its a no brainer. Cost me about $25 (Aus).

By the way they are an Australian band not NZ.

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I think it was me that gave the recommendation. [​IMG]

Click the cover art in my sig to hear some of their songs.

JET ROCKS! Go to Target and get it for only $7! It's just 48 minutes and 35 seconds of pure old-school rock. Everyone here should give it a try. Listen to it and then tell me that all current music sucks! I have a feeling that you will not be able to... [​IMG]

The best song is Are You Gonna Be My Girl, but ALL of the songs are superb. This is probably my favorite album of 2003.

GO BUY IT NOW! This could be the best $6 to $10 you spend on a CD this year!

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I picked this up on Tues when I picked up Sevendust. I finally listened to it on the way to work this morning. The comparison to early Black Crowes is pretty accurate. There are definitely some similarities. This is a very good CD and I also recommend it. A few too many ballads for my taste, but the uptempo stuff is great.

5. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

6. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Yes we do, because Jet is awesome! [​IMG]

7. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"I thought Train was the Black Crowes."

Man.....do you listen to either of those bands?!?!?! I don't see the comparison.

8. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

9. Anthony Connor

Anthony Connor Stunt Coordinator

Jet : Get Born sounds ok, as long as you don't play it on your computer. Ruddy copy protection.....

Regards

AXE

10. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Jet doesn't do much for me, but at least they aren't depressing and their guitars are tuned normally instead of being tuned down to c#. I guess rock will come back full circle and hard rock/metal will be back in again.

11. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Anthony, the US version does not have copy protection.

12. Anthony Connor

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Let me know what happens Anthony.

I know that the US version doesn't have copy protection, because I ripped the album to my PC in MP3 (for my legal backup and personal use only [​IMG]) with no problems at all.

14. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I like to burn CD's for use in my car, but the last few albums I haven't been able to due to the use of Copy Protection. Perfect Circle, Jet, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club all have it. Rather annoying.

Anthony, will you be going to see Jet live at the Big Day Out in January?

15. Anthony Connor

Nick,

I will be going to the big day out. Mainly to see Metallica, but I want to see a hole heap of cool bands as well.

I haven't been to a BDO yet, and I have missed some good ones.

I hope that Powderfinger will be there, but I haven't heard that they will. I am just hoping. [​IMG]

Check your PM to Nick [​IMG]

Regards

Anthony

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

17. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"And comparing a new band (Jet) to what is in essence a copy band (The Crowes) is kind of nuts, no? "

I disagree but then again I'm not from the REALLY old school. Every band has it's merits regardless of whether you think they are copying another band or not. I could call the Stones rip off artitsts too. As you have stated.....they took American blues and early rock and roll and made their own sound. I believe that is EXACTLY what the Crowes did. I do not think they sound like the Stones. Are there similarities? Most definatley. But then again if I looked hard enough I could take any band and call them derivative. That is what all music is - derivative.

You also mentioned something else in your post - early Black Crowes - have you listened to anything besides there first 2 CDs? I think if you had you would have a better idea of how they have evolved.

A rather condescending post at the very least. Who hasn't heard of the Stones?

18. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

19. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

OK, I have just listened to five 29 seconds samples at Amazon, so I am now an expert on Jet[​IMG]

I would have to agree with a previous poster, based on what I heard on these samples, I am not hearing a lot of Black Crowes, but as I said previously, I am more an old school Crowes fan, so their later output may be a more valid comparison.

Last Chance, Are You Gonna Be My Girl, and Rollover DJ sound more like a blending of The Hives and the Vines. And thats not a bad thing.

Look What You've Done, is clearly a Lennon/Beatle-esque ballad.

And Get What You Need definitely has a 60's vibe to it, right down to the fuzz guitar.

I kind of like the samples that I heard, and there was not an Open G guitar to be found.

Lessons Learned:

Check out some newer Black Crowes.
    Buy Jet.

BGL

20. Anthony Connor

Guys,

I recommend you check out a ( Aussie ) band called Powderfinger. There latest slab is "Vulture Street" and it is fantastic.

If we are comparing influences and where they get there sounds from, then the latest album has a very Led Zep feeling in a few tunes. Maybe they pay homage to them, but don't let that frighten you off. They are a great band and they have about 5 or 6 albums out so far. Each one different from the last. Vulture Street is a more Rock inspired album, but I think that there sound is distinctively there own.

Regards

Axe