What's new

Hey Noir Fans: Bought any DVD's lately? (1 Viewer)

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I've started to get into film noir, and I want to add to my collection. I used to keep up with all the release dates, but with so many new DVD's coming out I'm sure I miss a few.
Here are the noirs I currently own:
Big Sleep, The
T-Men/Raw Deal
Key Largo
D. O. A.
Lady from Shanghai, The
He Walked by Night
Strangers on a Train
Blue Gardenia, The
Double Indemnity
Strange Love of Martha Ivers, The
Touch of Evil
Maltese Falcon, The
Detour
Big Combo, The
Kiss Me Deadly
Can anyone think of any good noirs on DVD I've missed? I'm sure there are several.
Many Thanks,
Matt
------------------

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Definitely check out Jean Pierre-Melville's Un Flic. A terrific crime thriller from the early '70s.
Although I wouldn't necessarily classify these films as noirs, they have wonderful cinematography that any noir fan would appreciate.
The Third Man - great disc from Criterion
Gilda - a beautifully shot film that explores some of the same themes as Casablanca, and in some ways is ( for me ) superior to that film. Plus this film features the stunning 'Put the blame on Mame' number by Rita Hayworth, which is worth the purchase price of the disc, all by itself.
Also....
Don't forget that Fritz Lang's The Big Heat with Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, and a young Lee Marvin is streeting next month. Marvin is a real bastard in this one. For me, one of the classics of the genre.
Edit:
Oh yeah, three films from director Jules Dassin that I forgot to mention that are all well worth your time are...
Brute Force
The Naked City
Rififi
- Walter.
[Edited last by Walter Kittel on November 13, 2001 at 10:45 AM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Chinatown is a great movie, although the DVD doesn't contain many extras.
I held off on picking up Double Indemnity in hopes that Criterion would get a hold of it. I seem to remember reading that Criterion releasing it is a possibility however, I don't beleieve it's in the works as of yet. I hope I'm wrong.
Also, where the heck is one of my favorites, Sunset Boulevard? I would love to own that one on DVD.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

[Edited last by Tom_G on November 13, 2001 at 10:55 AM]

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
MGM has a pretty good disc of Kubrick's "The Killing".
Perhaps not a noir in the strictest sense, Criterion has a nice disc of Henri-Georges Clouzot's "Diabolique" (aka "Les Diaboliques"). Avoid the Sharon Stone re-make like the plague, though.
I think Artisan has a DVD of the noirish boxing classic "Body and Soul" as a two-fer with "The Champion", but I haven't seen the disc myself.
If neo-noirs count, after "Chinatown", there's also "Body Heat", "Blood Simple", "Red Rock West", "The Grifters", and even "Memento". Also, perhaps my favorite version of Philip Marlowe on screen is Robert Mitchum in "Farewell My Lovely".
If you want to see the genre up-ended, watch a double feature of "The Big Sleep" and "The Big Lebowski". :)
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on November 13, 2001 at 11:57 AM]

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Matt,
You've got quite a nice collection of noir going there, including several titles on my "want" list.
I second the recommendations for Brute Force and the very fine Rififi disc by Criterion. I admire the films of Jules Dassin, and I'm looking forward to getting The Naked City. Kubrick's The Killing is also excellent.
Among more recent films, you gotta have L.A. Confidential.
I wish Out of the Past would hurry up and make it to DVD.
I don't really believe it fits perfectly into the film noir category, but one book on the genre I read included Vertigo. That's one of my favorite films no matter how you list it.
------------------
Mike Brantley
Our Screening Room
Our DVD collection

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I believe I read somewhere that Sunset Boulevard will be out sometime next year. Don't remember where. Warner chat, maybe?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Greg - Sunset Blvd. is being prepared for a 2002 release by Paramount.
Matt - I was remiss in not commenting earlier on your collection; some nice titles you've got there.
Some excellent choices already mentioned by others.
Another neo-noir to consider is Kill Me Again, directed by John Dahl who has also directed ( amongst other films ) the aforementioned Red Rock West, and The Last Seduction.
And while I wouldn't classify it as a noir, any self respecting noir fan owes it to themselves to check out Charles Laughton's only directorial assignment, Night of the Hunter. Perhaps even more essential is Fritz Lang's M.
If you've enjoyed Anthony Mann's Raw Deal, T-Men, & He Walked By Night, then you might want to consider viewing Railroaded and Strange Impersonation.
And yet another one to film to consider is Borderline.
Unfortunately, none of Robert Siodmak's noirs have been released on DVD. ( Titles such as Criss Cross, The Killers, The Dark Mirror, Cry of the City, and The File on Thelma Jordan. ) I mention this because The Spiral Staircase, which is a thriller, is available on DVD. You might want to take a look at this title as Siodmak was one of the top noir filmmakers of the '40s.
- Walter.

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies so far! I read so much about "The Killers" that I had to go rent it on VHS. If only it would make it to DVD!
I'm excited about "The Big Heat", too. I've never seen it, but I've heard and read lots about it. I saw the clip of Lee Marvin and the coffee pot in a documentary once, and it makes the film look very intriguing!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks