Hey Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike~Sileck, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Hey guys so far I have the following setup:
    Tv: Sony KDF-70XBR950
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2400
    Center Speaker: JBL Studio Center II
    Surround Side / Surround Rear: JBL S36II PM
    Front L/R: JBL S-312II
    Woofer: HSU SFT-3

I've ordered or in the process of ordering the above (Im creating a new home theater). I need a suggestion on a dvd player. Should I go 5 disk changer, or single disk? I'm looking to spend in the 400 (less if possible) range. Any ideas? (Oh and the highest picture high def. quality would be preferred, thanks!) Thanks for your help guys

Mike

2. Mike~Sileck

Any help at all guys?

Mike

3. Eric_Bender

Eric_Bender Agent

Mike,

The Denon and Panasonic players with the Faroujda DSP seems to be the clear favorites here. I remember some complaining of compatability with some of these with the Sony XBR units. I recommend going to several stores to audition DVD Players with the Sony XBR. Judge for yourself.

I personally went with the Harman Kardon DVD101. My reasons were more for sound quality and overall experience. My TV is a Sony KV-32FS100, which does not support Progressive scan, but still provides an awesome picture. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Good Luck

4. Mike~Sileck

That's interesting ~ Well I do have that Sony XBR tv, so Im gonna need to know what dvd players to avoid. Also, I've heard things about dvd players that have progressive scan that goes beyond 480p, and even makes the signal a 780p or 1080i signal. I'm very unfamilar with all of these new technologies, so a little advice/help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Mike

5. Eric_Bender

Eric_Bender Agent

Do a search on the forums for Progressive Scan, 1080i or XBR950. You should get a lot of info. This is a really great site with lots of info.

Eric