hey, im trying to build the ultimate 2.1 speaker system for 200 bucks!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zeinin, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Zeinin

Zeinin Auditioning

hey, me and my friends are working on a 2.1 sound system for a little cart thingy. we have almost no budget, so better equipment is not possible. we want it decent, but loud. now if i were building this systemf for myself, i would go all out and get the clearest speakers possible, however, the enviroment that this cart will be in makes good speakers useless, as the ambiant noise is to high. what we have sofar is a 15" radioshack 8ohm sub, and 2 sets of of optimus 3 way car speakers. what we will buy later is probly 2 8 or 10" woofers, and an anmerican legacy 1000 watt amp. now here is my qestion.. seald, ported, or bandpass on the sub? i like the sound of seald, but the sub will prolly die on me if we drive it like that. also, how would you make the speaker cabinet? seald, or ported? im new to DIY HT, so any help would be appreciated. yes i know its gonna sound bad, but hey, we have 200 bucks, hehe :b

2. Ryan Hawke

Ryan Hawke Agent

I think you can do a lot better for $200. First off, I would get rid of the Radio Shack woofer and get a different one. For mids/highs, I would stay away from the 3-way car speakers and instead build some little satellites with better drivers. Adire Audio has a 3" midwoofer that can be paired with an inexpensive tweeter for decent sound, and cheap. For the sub you can get some "Credence" 15"ers from www.partsexpress.com I'm not sure of the quality of these, but theyre probably better than the Rat Shack ones. If you want a good sub, then look into some other drivers. What is this going to be used for exactly? BTW, good luck on your quest for cheap sound!
    --Ryan