What's new

Hey, I got a Hitachi 51UWX20B (1 Viewer)

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Well as the thread states I got new TV. Since others put in their thoughts I will share mine so far. I got it Yesterday morning at 10am. Nothing like being awakened by delivery men saying "We're here with your TV."

I'm not a seasoned vet so don't know what to tell you guys. Got a new Panny RP56 with it and so far am using the junkie rca's that come with it as component cables while my manly-man cables are being shipped. I also havn't done an AVIA calibration as this was a giant tease as I had family over seeing my new place (lots of time cleaning) and have been helping my girlfrien study for an exam. I've done a quick THX certified calibration, that's it. Oh, I have no HDTV source material to evaluate at this time.

From what I have seen I'm impressed. I previously had a first generation 32" Wega and this is a step up. Listing movies known for better transfers: Shrek, Toy Story 2, Titan AE, Tarzan, The Cell, Austin Powers 2, Pearl Harbor all look pretty stunning. Reds are not as sharp as I would like, not bleeding, but not sharp. I think this is more of a cabling issue. My girlfriend thought the pictures looked "weird, not like a TV." Desribed it as looking more like looking through a window.

I have never played around or compared stretch modes so don't know what to say. There are several and non of them really impress me. Running everything in 16x9 stretched out to max the screen (when needed) to evenly break in the TV. Stretching shows artifacting, which i would be surprised if all TVs don't do that, just to what extent.

Speakers, havn't had them on yet so can't comment. Remote seems decent enough. First impressions are Sony and panny Remotes I've had might be layed out better.

I havn't played around with the TV tons, I'm using crap-MacCrap cables and I'm still pretty impressed. Images have a rich depth to them, but some colour bleeding which I think is more of a calibration and cable issue.

I'm a happy guy. Any questions or others who have the set, let me know. Sometimes people seem to "share" settings on the same model TV. I don't know if they transfer 100% as I'd assume each TV is somewhat individual. But I'm not the most experienced calibration man so would like to see what settings you might use.

Peter

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm deciding between this and the SWX. The only difference that I may regret not having if I go with the UWX is the wide neck CRTs. Sinse I will not have HD for a while, DVD will be my best picture on the set. Still have not found out if the WN CRTs will benefit me a lot. Any ideas?

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve,

Well I didn't look at the SWX too much, the extra money for it didn't leave much consideration. I looked at the UWX, was pleased with the picture, and knew when I got good cables and good calibration it would be better. I just bought/moved into my first home 5 weeks ago and ain't exactly rolling in the extra dough. So why not buy a TV! I'm the master of financial planning.

So I didn't look into the SWX too much as I was so please with the UWX picture and it would already be a huge jump in scope so stuck with the entry model.

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Frank,

I'm not with the set right now, I couldn't take to work much to my dismay. But here's the specs I had from before.

width: 48.75 depth: 25.06 height: 50.13

The top is also a decent depth, enough to hold a DVD player easily just fyi.

Peter

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Peter,

If you haven't already, visit the tweaks section of the Home Theater Spot for specifics on settings. I have a 2002 53UWX and use the following settings:

Contrast: 40%
Brightness: 45%
Color: 50 %
Tint: Set at middle

I am not sure if the 2003 models have different settings under the "Advance setting" section. Of all the extra "stuff" I have SVM and the rest of it turned off. I do have black level expansion turned ON though.

I simply cannot afford the dough for a professional calibration like my TV deserves. I don't even have the money for AVIA/Video Essentials. Everytime I calibrate using the THX optimode I end up with a picture that is much too dark (My TV sits in my basement is is shielded from most light).

For example, in the cave scenes in Vertical Limit, it is hard to make out some of the details in the snow walls and faces of Annie and others with the brightness set at 40. A simple jump to 45, even 50 percent makes all the difference.

I read about some of the others brightness and contrast settings and wonder how they are able to see scenes such as these clearly. I have to wonder if a professional calibration would resolve these issues to the point that it would make lower brightness and contrast settings ( currently 45 and 40 percent respectively) possible.

Just some thoughts,

Michael.

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

actually I havn't been in the tweaks section. So used to reading up on displays and video devices havn't looked around the site too much. I'll try your settings.

James, hey that wasn't there last week. I'm suprised the canadian site had it up first.

MatthewH

Agent
Peter, I purchased the 57TWX20 about two weeks ago. The TV is spectacular IMHO. My only complaint is that it wont do 720P. DVD looks wonderful, Digital Satellite looks better than I thought. Can't comment on HDTV because I cant afford a tuner yet, but hopefully I will have on soon. No regrets so far.

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,

I was wondering if you would share your settings for your TV in a dark environment? I got good component cables last night and it made a huge difference on the reds. However I'm noticing a blue halo. if I pull up the convergence grid for example I can see a slight blue bleed on hard edges.

I've calibrated it quickly with Avia but want to go through it slowly this weekend and make sure I'm doing it properly. And thoughts/opinions?

thanks

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
You can't see those tweaks anymore unless your a paid member.

I posted those tweaks, and would be glad to re-post them hear if needed since Hometheaterspot has taken a very negative turn as of late. I paid my $25 and I still can't view them.

I did not take the time to post those tweaks for people to have to pay to see them. Since I am the author, I am sure I can copy and paste them.

What do you think? Think it's right or ok?

Anyone who wants some specific help with thier Hitachi 10B series models, feel free to email me.

-MIKE

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
One new tip,

the Hitachi 10B series have different setting for 1080i/480P inputs and 480i inputs, so...

If you manual converge via the service menu for one, make sure you manual converge for the other too....

Changes you make in 480P/1080i will not effect 480i and Vice versa..

-MIKE

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael,

It is my understanding that you have been refunded
your money from Home Theater Spot.

Please do not use this board to vent personal
problems with other sites.

This conversation regarding the other board will
cease right here.

Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks