Hey Hey Zep Fans

Discussion in 'Music' started by Iver, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Iver

Iver Second Unit

For Zep fans, the new DVD set is like Christmas, Ramadan, and Yom Kippur all rolled into one.

The best one-word description: generous.

The first disc includes a 1970 show at The Royal Albert Hall with about ten classic songs from that period.

The cinematography and sound recording, done by the BBC, are excellent.

The bonuses are great, especially the appearance on a French variety TV show which apparently caused the band to swear off TV appearances forever. It must have unnerved the boys to not just have a whole audience full of middle aged French people snickering at them, but the show's band too. There's also a four-song clip from a Swedish TV (b&w) appearance including Communication Breakdown.

The second disc starts with a version of Immigrant Song which they synthesized with audio from a 1973 Long Beach, CA performance and film footage from an appearance in Sydney, Australia, also 1973. It works well by rockumentary standards.

Then we go to a 1973 show at Madison Square Garden. By this point, Jimmy Page's outfits have evolved from argyle sweaters to Gandalf Getups. Four songs from this show.

Next there are about five songs from a 1975 show at Earl's Court arena, culminating in Stairway to Heaven.

After that there are about five more songs from one of the band's last appearances, the 1979 show at Knebworth Stadium.

Extras on the second disc include a promotional video, put together in 1990 from various film clips, for Traveling Riverside Blues.

The audio options include a linear PCM 48/16 track, a Dolby Digital 5.1 track, and a DTS 5.1 track. The DD and DTS tracks sound about the same, both excellent.

All together, it's about five hours of music which, if you watch it non-stop at high volume, may leave you feeling Dazed and Confused.

2. George See

George See Second Unit

Personally i'd much rather have studio albums than this set on DVD-A, but your right it does totally rock [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I watched the 2nd disc a few weeks ago. I was so happy that I was sad. [​IMG] Awesome, much better than I had thought it would be. I have some lp bootlegs of the Earl's Ct and Knebworth shows that certainly didn't prepare me for the quality that we got. Wow. In-freaking-credible.

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Gotta love the Earls Court set...

5. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

... better yet the Swedish TV set.

Amazing what 4 gifted people can do 'naked'.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, whatever happened to improvisation?

Or, when was the last time you heard a modern act do a 10 minute song that was actually interesting enough to warrant 10 minutes?

[​IMG]

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor