What's new

Hey Guys. Need some help here (1 Viewer)

MatthewJD

Auditioning
Ok, This all probably going to sound like a rookie mistake to most of you but I have a decent home theater set up but I am a little distressed by something. I am not a bass freak but I have a problem with the bass I'm getting now. I have Atlantic Technol. THX front speakers and the smallest of the Velodyne subwoofers. The Velodyne was kind of expensive, to me anyway. About 1000.00. All driven by Sony ES receiver. I have a fairly large living room with and am just not getting the bass I want. I fear I made a mistake with the AT front speakers though and/or didn't get a big enough sub. Everything sounds great but the bass just isn't there. Should I just chalk it up to making a mistake with the AT speakers and buying some front speakers with true woofers (you probably know that the AT speakers have 2 tiny woofers, probably closer to midrange) or is there anyway to plug in another subwoofer? Does anyone ever use 2 subwoofers? Thanks for your help folks.
Matthew

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Explore any one of a number of fixes:

-Room placement (sub could be in a place where the bass waves are cancelling themselves out at your listening position)

-Bass management on A/V receiver -- perhaps try running the Atlantic Techs full range and use the sub to just fill in the frequencies below their -3 db down point

-Crossover and output settings of the sub -- crossover might be set too high, leaving a hole between the sub and mains, and your volume control might be set too low

-You don't give the dimensions of your room but a second sub might be the answer. Two corner-loaded Velo's should provide enough bass for a big room. If $$$ is an object, try returning the Velo (or selling it on the used market) and buy two Adire Ravas or Hsu's, or perhaps one of SVS's offerings in the same price range.

Good luck.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Which Atlantic Tech do you have. You can't run them full range...I Know the 350s and 450's are designed to be crossed over at 80 hz! Try placing the sub in a corner and make sure all the "setup" is correct in the receiver (speakers small...sub on,etc.) Try experimenting with the phase on the sub to get the best bass at the seating position. Something weired is going on because you should get enough bass....exactly what setup do you have so we can be more specific!

Mike

ps...I posted befor reading DarrenAlan's response...he said it better!

MatthewJD

Auditioning
Hey guys sorry for not getting back sooner. I have the Atl. Tech. 271 front speakers with the corresponding surround speakers (don't know the model number) and I believe the 273 center channel and the velodyne sub. The tuner is the sony 7es and 999es dvd player. The room is about 24x17. The front is filled with a lot of furniture though and thick curtains with hardwood floors. Hope you can help me get to my bass problem. Do you think moving the sub to a corner would help? I never knew that. Mine is straight out in front against the wall.

Thanks,

Matt

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I don't know about your receiver, but if it has a "Bass Peak Level" setting make sure you do that. Does your receiver "know" you have a sub?
If your running your sub via line level and the sub has right and left inputs, run a splitter on the end of the cable going into the sub.

Putting the sub in the corner acts as a re-enforcement to the sub. You kinda "load" the corner.

Some people put their sub where they sit and then crawl around the room and see where the sub sounds best and then that's where you put it.
(mine sounded best in the middle of the entry way so I built a swinging rope to swing into the room over the subwoofer, sometimes if I run I can land myself on the couch just right). ;)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think your speakers are ok. Like above, check your receiver settings and make sure your getting an LFE signal. You may need to experiment with other places for your sub or it may be just too small for your room.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I had a Sony ES receiver(DA2es) for a short while. I was having the exact same problem you are describing. Everything sounded great except there just wasn't much bass. I tried adjusting that thing for 3 weeks and ended up exchanging it for a Denon. Problem solved.:D

Guy Robinson

Agent
I have a 12" Velodyne in a room 12" by 17" and it is more than adequate. I found through much fooling around that placement was extremely important and the sub was best when the subwoofer output on the receiver was set to a gain of +8 DB. This gives sufficient input to the sub so the noon setting on the sub is usually as high as it needs to go for pretty well everything. Also it is very imporatnt to get that "Y" adapter if you are feeding L/R LFE inputs on the sub.

MatthewJD

Auditioning
Thanks guys for all your help!! Vincent I know the 7es is pretty much completely different than the 2es as far as output and options for output of bass (because my brother has one) due to the fact that a friend of mine has the 7 and it sounds great as far as bass. He has a similar room and equip as me.
So I did as you guys said. Got down and dirty. Moved stuff around and threw it in the corner. All I can say is WOW! It sounds completely different. I tried some variations and put this leather chair (not sofa) in front of it, kinda off center and it's like it ricochet'd the bass around the room. Does this make any sense at all? I truly can't believe it. Thanks again everyone! This is a great site! Even though I can't speak most of the language about hertz of crossovers and stuff yet. I'll learn.....hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks