hey guys , im the new guy , can u help me on some of these questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kirtis_m, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Kirtis_m

Kirtis_m Auditioning

I jyust bought a home theater system from wal mart, it cost $420 including tax, and it has 600 watts of power, however I want more bass than what the subwoofer puts out , and my reciever only has one place for the self powered subwoofer to go , I have some 15 inch subwoofers that I was wanting to double the wires in teh self powere subwoofer that way they would also go to the subwoofer i have , which woudl mean mroe bass, but ive treid taking the front and back off of the subwoofer that cam with my system ,and no luck , i cant take the back of it off becasue of the wires not being long enought to take the back portion off,

I was also looking at rent a center .com and there 500 watt techwood stereo system , I have a rent a center in my area and they have this including dvd player reciever surround sound speakers, center speaker and the front and left speaksers, which ahve 4 subwoofers all together, would this sound good , or has anyone tried the techwood

TO Give you an idea of what im wanting , when the balrog jumps out of the fire on lord of the rings and htis the ground, and it makes that thump, I WANT TO HEAR IT BETTER

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I'm not sure what you are talking about....but it seems you want to replace the sub that came with the HTB with one of the 15's you have laying around. If you don't have an amp for those 15's, don't bother...an HTB isn't going to power them on its own. And don't expect the little amp that is built into the "bass module" that came with the HTB to drive a 15 either. If you wanted bass, an HTB was not the right direction for you to take. Your only real option is to add in a separate powered sub. Not being familiar with your HTB, I couldn't begin to tell you how to connect a powered sub to your receiver...if it has speaker wire running to the front L and R speaker, you could run them through the Sub and use its crossover to route the lower frequencies to the sub and the higher to the mains. I seriously doubt your HTB unit has a subwoofer preout.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I agree, attempting to perform 'speaker surgery' with a 15" woofer and a plastic HTiB sub-box will likely just end-up destroying the box and the woofer.

If you want to build a DIY (Do It Yourself) subwoofer, then you should read up in the speaker/subwoofer part of the forum, there are several DIY experts hanging around there.

If you need to hear 'The Bal*Rog' better, this could just as likely be the fault of your center and front speakers as much as your subwoofer.

And please step away from the Techwood system. Nothing good ever comes from techwood. (Do a search on "White Van" for other speakers to avoid).

4. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Techwood.......EVIL!! Stay away from it. For more bass, add a powered sucwoofer to the system. Just connect the wires out of your HTiB into the sub, and then the front speakers into it also. Very simple. Good Luck [​IMG]

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You may get more sound out of the 15" speaker if that speaker is "more efficient" than the one in your subwoofer unit that came with the HTiB system. ...Using the existing amplifiers or amplifier modules.

On average, larger woofers are more efficient than smaller ones.

Check the speaker impedances and do not connect a speaker or group of speakers with a net impedance lower than that of the original speaker.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Don't flame me if you were just looking for information, but, don't EVER, EVER, EVER buy anything from Rent-a-Center, or any similar rent-to-own store. They sell garbage that is ridiculously marked up. You're better off saving your money or possibly looking into lay-away. There are many good deals through the net, too. Good luck.

7. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

To be the most help we need to know EXACTLY what you bought. Also the 15" subs your talking about, are they CAR subs?