What's new

Hey guys, i'm new and just have a few questions (1 Viewer)

Peter>B

Auditioning
I am going to be in the market to buy a tv in about 1 year.. (i'm going to start saving up for a audio system for the next 6 months, then the display for the rest of the 6 months...) so, i was wondering, should i get a front projection display? or a rear projection. could someone point me in the right direction as to what rear projection (probably the way i will need to go for room)...i have 2 grand to spend...if need be, maybe like 2200...but that is my limit...so, if someone could please help me out that would be great...thanks a bunch...

~peter~

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

Now is a great time to be looking into a display device. Prices are coming way down and will most likely drop more next year as well. If your room would permit I still recommend a CRT type display as their quality is umatched at the present moment.

Front projection is always a great idea but with a budget of $2,200 it would be best to stick to either a direct-view monitor or an RPTV. Most front projectors would need add on scalars, screens, ect... to be the best that they can be and that would bring you above budget.

Regards,

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Peter,

I would disagree with David in regards to the front projection world. Prices have dropped dramatically in last year, while the quality of digital projectors has increased at the same time. You can get easily get a great projector for less than 2K that will give you a 6-8 foot wide picture that will blow you away. The quality of current entry level projectors is above that of all but the most expensive of RPTVs, and the experience of watching a movie on a projector will beat that of any other system (at least at this price range).

projectors however, do require more effort. They work best in dedicated rooms with good light control. You need to be able to run wiring and mount the projector without making it look like something college kids put together in their dorm. You need to buy, or better yet, build a screen. You need to select the right projector with a throw distance that will work in your room. All of that takes more effort than buying a tv and plugging it in. I personaly think that it is very much worth it. CRT systems might be even more worth it, but for a first time user, digital projectors are a lot easier.

Lots of people here to give you advice.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The $2K budget is not necessarily the stumbling block for front projection. What you need to determine is what you will be watching on it, dvd, hdef, broadcast tv, etc so that you can make the logical selection. You need to be aware that digital FPTV's will require a bulb replacement after anywhere from 1000-5000 hours of usage (2000-3000 is the most common) with the Panasonic L300U being at the upper end of the scale at 5000 hours, and factor in a $200-$400 bulb cost depending on the model of projector.

As well, you will want to control the amount of ambient light in the room. See this thread here... Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks