Hey Guys!!! Come On In...Need Help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AbelM, May 28, 2003.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

I need some HUGE help! I walked into my room today and turned on my reciever (v520 by Yamaha) and no sound what-so-ever was coming out of the left speaker? The sub and right speaker and both backs worked perfect, but no left? What could be the problem? I need you guys' more than ever right now!!! [​IMG]

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Some of the Yamahas have a problem with dirty contacts on the preout rca for the main channels. To remedy this, check to see if you have a main speaker preout and simply plug a rca in and out a few times to "clean" the contact.
    Hope this helps as I am not sure if the 520 is one of the affected units.

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Huh... I don't have rca outs for the speakers?? I have regular speaker wire...no banna plugs or anything like that for me. Is this to what you were refering too?!

4. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Abel,

Donny was referring to the little U-shaped plugs that jumper the L&R preouts to the L&R amp inputs on the back of the receiver.

These are simply a metal jumper and tend to oxidize. Just make sure the unit is turned off. Then take another RCA type cable and plug it in and out and turn it a few times to clean the female plug of both the preouts and amp inputs. You might also use a pencil eraser to clean up the male plug side of the jumper itself.

If your receiver doesn't have this capability, then you can ignore this.

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Bruce,

Yeah man, I odn't have anything like that you are talking about. I don't have an amp either to power it, I just have the reciever! So if you know anything more or ANYONE for that matter, please help me out...my audio is my LIFE!!!

Thanx Again

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Abel,

Right, I looked at the V520 Connection guide and just see the speaker outputs.

My guess is the speaker wire is frayed (at either the receiver connection or the back of the speakers) and some loose strands are stretching across to other terminals causing a short in your receiver. Or the speaker cable ends are oxidizing (not a bright shiny copper color anymore) and not forming good electrical connections at either the receiver end or the back of the speaker connection itself.

You can check each connection at both the receiver and the speaker to see if any loose threads are visible.

You could also re-dress each cable connection. By that I mean take it out, cut off the exposed wire end (about 1-2 inches), strip the insulation off the new cut, twist the exposed wire strands tightly together and insert it back into the connection.

When using bare copper wire, re-dressing the speaker cable ends is probably recommended every few years.

7. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Awesome thanx alot Bruce [​IMG]

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Check the balance knob if you have kids.

9. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Are there any fuses on the recvr or the speaker that might be out?

d

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hook the dead left speaker wire up to the right channel and see if you get sound.
    ~{This after checking the Left channels speaker wire connections at the receiver and speaker to make sure you have good contact and no stray strands}~!

If you get sound, well things don't look good. You could also hook the working right speaker up to the dead let channel and see if you get sound. If not, it really dose not look good.

Just to be sure, re-check all the RCA analog connections for good contact and even digital on the receiver, along with the balance knob already mentioned.

Move the volume knob up and down also, could be a dust spec in their.

If the receiver has fuses they most likely they are on the inside. As a last resort you could try looking threw the vents in the top with a flashlight and see if you can see fuses in their.
    Pull the cover if your comfortable with that and you don't mind voiding the warranty if it's still covered.

You could then check to see if any are toasted and replace it if needed.
    ~{Un-plug it of course and let it sit at least a day as **JUICE** is still in their}~.

Hope you find the problem and it's fixable at home and not in the shop. Yamahas are generaly pretty tuff, so hopefully you'll find the problem.

Regards
    Geoff

11. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Thanks to all who helped!! I appreciate it. I found the probelm, I guess...I turned the volume knob up real loud then back down a few times, disconnected the speaker wire, and then sprayed Dust-Off (compressed air) all over for particles of dust...plugged it back in, hooked it all up, and it worked!!!

Thanx again guys'! [​IMG] [​IMG]