Hey guys: Blame the studios and broadcasters for Pan and Scan not J6P

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I have seen many discussions over the years blaming the so called Joe Sixpack with people calling them everything from dumb, ignorant, stupid and more. However, I believe the MAJOR VILLIANS here are the studios and broadcasters. They are the ones that pump this junk into society without ever claiming responsibility. And we here at HTF go after the easy target J6P when all they are doing is continuing their viewing habits from regular TV broadcast. 99% of everything shown is P&S whether broadcast or premium channels.
    We save ALL of our frustration to vent on J6P but give lip service to the REAL BAD GUYS. Isn't it time we target the entities that are responsible for and can change the whole dynamic?
    Is there truly a valid reason they have not included a demostration and explaination of widescreen and P&S on every DVD? Why is this? Apparently they want to keep J6P ignorant of the facts about what they are missing with P&S.
    Time to hold the studios and broadcasters feet to the fire and make them own up to their share of this problem. Or will we continue to attack J6P giving the REAL BAD GUYS a free ride?
    [Edited last by Reginald Trent on October 20, 2001 at 05:25 AM]

2. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Exactly!! If the studios and broadcasters had only taken a chance and basically said "This is the only way to show movies on a tv!" By the way WHO developed/invented "Pan & Scan" anyway?? There has to be that one person who "perfected" it. It would be nice to put a face or name to the evil practice.
    -Ian

3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

4. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I think there is much more to this issue than educating the public. The sutdios are very content,in fact it is there goal, to release titles leaving something to be desired. They want to sell their titles over and over again. That is how they make money.
    They like pan'n scan because eventually J6P buys a 16 x 9 TV and then has to re-buy all their DVD's. That is why the studios love DVD, because it provides endless possibilities for re-releasing a title. Just when you think you own the ultimate version along comes "Super Bit".
    Hang in there do not buy any full view, pan'n scan, DVD's unless of course the movie was shot in 4 x 3, From Here To Eternity. That is the only way we can fight back.

5. Reginald Trent

My point is the responsibility of educating the maintream customers falls to the studios and broadcasters not HTF and other similar groups. Sure we can share our knowledge of film including aspect ratios and it's relation to viewing devices. However, the studios could educate more than we could ever hope to by including an EXPLAINATION and DEMOSTRATION of WS and P&S on EVERY DVD.
    And that what we should be pressuring the studios to do. Why won't they do it? Surely if we can push petitions from mulitple Home Theater related Forums about certain DVDs why won't we petition and pressure them to add a demo on every DVD?

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Agreed! I read somewhere here before that movies went widescreen to get 'one up' on TV's when they first came out. Later, when TV's wanted to show a WS movie, they realized that they had to get them cropped, thus P&S.
    I don't want to close this thread because when they are fresh, good points are made, but after a few pages they go way downhill, but I am amazed at the number of threads that are here on basically the same subject. I thought that the mods would close the others out????
    There is a lot of blame to be put everywhere. The TV manufacturers, the networks, the studios, etc. I am sure that when P&S started, everybody knew exactly what was going on, but that was what, 2 generations ago? The public has been 'dumbed down' since then, so to speak.
    I am not sure if this has ever been brought up before, but if I didn't make it to a theater to see a first run movie, but caught it later on TV in a P&S version, I'd never know what I had missed.
    Done
    Glenn

7. Reginald Trent

I'm not trying to ascribe the blame for Pan and Scan on any individual. However, it only makes sense that if the studios can include FBI warnings and trailers of their catalog they should also include a demo of WS and P&S on every DVD. And we should make it our mission to pressure them to do it. Gladiator, The Matrix and The Mummy/Returns reached more people than we could ever hope to. Remember everybody doen't have a computer or access to the internet to view our forum HTF.
    To me this seems more logical than us/HTF trying to pass out flyers or educate the mainstream DVD owners one on one.

8. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Reginald,
    You are right studio's should do their part. But we can still do ours. Every little bit helps. Rather than handing out long winded fliers just be prepair to show someone a few pages of printed color examples.
    [​IMG] Frank
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Frank Anderson on October 20, 2001 at 06:19 PM]

9. Reginald Trent

Sure we should educate people about aspect ratios, but that should not preclude us from also pressuring the studios for inclusion of a demo on every DVD. Why let them off the hook? After all, they are responsible for this mess in the first place.

10. Reginald Trent

I'm really puzzled by the constant attacks on the so called J6P while giving barely a mention of the part played by studios and broadcasters.
    They have the ability to disseminate OAR info to the mainstream customer and they haven't done it. All the while we complain about how IGNORANT and UNIFORMED they are. Won't the chances of mainstream customers getting/being informed increase if the studios would do their part by including a demo on DVDs?
    How much longer will we continue to bump our collective heads against the J6P brickwall without focusing on studios and broadcasters?

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, blame the FCC
    To prevent "screen blanking" (i'm not quite sure what the purpose of that was) they mandated that on broadcasts, the screen MUST be filled. Thus, movies got chopscreened
    Jeff Kleist

12. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I don't believe that FCC Crap one bit.

13. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

The studios first priority is to make money.
    The Directors first priority is to direct a great movie...making money comes with the job.
    The studio really doesn't care about OAR. They are selling a product. That product must include what the mainsream public wants...a product that fills the screen of the buyers TV screen.
    Home Theater Enthusiasts are but a small group compared to the general public. The mainstream audience ultimatly decides how a movie will be released in the end, not the studio. The mainstream audience wants full screen...the STUDIOS will deliver that to them, and they will deliver it again when the mainstreamers want 1.33 material to fill their 1.78 screens.
    The general publics lack of loving the art in films is to blame here, not the studio.
    Most of the so called attacks on "J6P" are on people who just brashly post about crap we deal with on a day to day bases with the non-enthusisasts of the world...we come here to get away from it. It's very frustrating to log into the HTF and see OAR debated with a pro P&S tone...no, its insulting.
    I think most STUDIOS realize that there is a small enthusiast market out there...they will likely release a seperate product catered to our needs at a premium price...I say bring it on!
    Let the J6Ps of the world wallop in their full screen/pan and scan glory...give me the real deal, give me OAR...I'd be willing to pay for the extra effort, if necessary.
    ------------------
    LuvLBX
    [Edited last by Jerry Gracia on October 23, 2001 at 05:32 PM]

14. TomRS4

TomRS4 Stunt Coordinator

15. Reginald Trent

Quote:
    The studio really doesn't care about OAR. They are selling a product. That product must include what the mainsream public wants...a product that fills the screen of the buyers TV screen.
    ---------------------------
    This is not a swipe at you Jerry, but I fear HTF has collectively taken a somewhat defeatist attitude thinking accepting pan and scan as inevitable. Good thing HTF and other HT related forums didn't take that attitude with DIVX.
    ----------------------------
    Quote:
    Home Theater Enthusiasts are but a small group compared to the general public. The mainstream audience ultimatly decides how a movie will be released in the end, not the studio.
    The general publics lack of loving the art in films is to blame here, not the studio.
    Ever think that perhaps the reason the general public has a lack of loving the art of film making is because Pan and Scan is their only point of reference?

16. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Reginald, I am not about to engage in yet another meaningless argument here.
    DIVX, my firend, was a new concept...P&S has been around for the past 20 years or so.
    Wether you or anyone else here wants to accept it or not, P&S is J6Ps preffered format and many of them WON'T be changed no matter how much education you throw at them, period.
    Regards!
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

17. Reginald Trent

I don't see this as meaningless. My suggestion is somewhat new. We as a forum have never tried petitioning studios to add a demo to DVDs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Has HTF or any other HT related forum tried this with the studios? If not, why not? Don't you think it's at least worth a try?
    Jerry wrote:
    Wether you or anyone else here wants to accept it or not, P&S is J6Ps preffered format and many of them WON'T be changed no matter how much education you throw at them, period.
    One should conclude from this statement that we should throw our hands in the air or bury our heads in the sand and do nothing. Since many of them WON'T be changed no matter how much education is throw at them. What do you want a guarantee of 100% conversion to OAR before you are willing to try this? Just asking.
    [Edited last by Reginald Trent on October 23, 2001 at 11:32 PM]

18. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I agree with you Reginald. P&S must be stopped at the source, STUDIOS. That doesn't mean that J6P is also not to blame here too, but we must also blame the studios and retailers for allowing this garbage. I'm all for a petition as long as it's well written and says we only want OAR on dvd nothing else. If this pisses J6P off let them start thier own god dam petition. P&S should not even be an option on DVD, keep it on VHS. If J6P wants to buy a DVD player he/she needs to realize and be told all movies on DVD are OAR, PERIOD!
    NO MORE MAR/P&S/FF ON DVD!
    L

19. Reginald Trent

Luis, I'm not saying mainstream customers play no part with the proliferation of Pan and Scan. It just puzzles me why we concentrate 99% on blaming them and 1% toward the studios. Shouldn't we hold the studios accountable for their part than we have in the past?
    [Edited last by Reginald Trent on October 23, 2001 at 11:30 PM]

20. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson