What's new

Hey GPS Fans ... Help Me Choose One (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
OK guys ... The S.O. has demanded my Christmas list today and she's psyched for a killer trip to Best Buy!
I've wanted a handheld GPS unit for years, but never gotten one. The last few rental cars I've had were equipped with the "Hertz NeverLost System" ... which Hertz's version of the Garmin Talking StreetPilot III.
B000058AKR.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I've used garmin and king GPS's (aerospace..) and like the garmins a lot, much more intuitive than the kings.

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
I use a Garmin eTrex Vista with the Garmin Metro maps. I was able to map all but a few of my 80 sites I may visit in my job via address on the computer. Then I uploaded the waypoints to my Garmin. So far I have found every place I needed to go without a map. It has a rubber case, and sits nicely wedged between the windsheild and the dash of my car and truck.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Not trying to horn in here but I was just coming here to ask about GPS (I know absolutely nothing). There's a "Garmin eTrex" @ Best Buy for $139 I think. Is anyone familiar w/this model? Is it any good? Is it totally self-contained?

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Brett:

You and I are in the same know-next-to-nothing boat! But I'm still digging.

That Garmin eTrex at Best Buy is the base model of the eTrex series and the only one that does not allow you to upload detail city maps from CD-ROM. You can get it anytime from Amazon for $99.

I think I've decided I want one that can handle uploading of custom Maps ... looks like the cheapest is around $200.

Scott

Chuck_C

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a Garmin III+ for a few years now and love it. I upload street level maps to it when traveling to other places and am never "turned around". Cost a little over $300. I use it hiking, hunting, in the car and on the motorcycle. A good friend has the etrex and likes his also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks