What's new

Hey everyone- I need help choosing a receiver. (1 Viewer)

Mark Herrington

Auditioning
Hey everyone, I made an account just for this! I am trying to get all my electronics organized and the piece to tie everything together is a receiver/amplifier.

Here's what I will need:

(PC audio can be sent to receiver over HDMI or over 3.5mm/RCA)

(Xbox 360 audio can be sent over HDMI or over 3.5mm/RCA)

(Xbox One audio can only be sent over HDMI)

Also, I will need to be able to hear the PC (TV audio) at the same time that I am listening to my vinyls.

One last small thing, it would be ideal if the receiver had a built in phono amplifier, but from what I have seen, if the receiver switches video, it is less likely to have one.

Here's the manual for my speakers. It says they are compatible with 10-120 watts per channel, but its "IEC Power Rating" is 60 watts per channel. Recommend what I need.

I don't have a strict budget, but the $250-$300 range would suit me best.

If any of these demands are impossible or obvious, please don't hurt me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nothing plays audio simultaneously from two different sources. You could rig something, but I'm not sure what. The best solution for that would be to use the internal speakers, or some computer powered speakers for the TV audio when you also want to listen to vinyl. You'll need an hdmi splitter because no receiver at less than 3-4x your maximum budget ( as Sam already said) has dual hdmi outputs. I've never used one, but I suspect there can be severe handshake issues with them.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I use a behringer 7 channel mixer to listen to more than one audio source at the same time through my setup. I enjoy listening music from my dune and getting the sound effects from my game at the same time. Ive also watched a movie whilr having some classical music going

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, let me clarify. Home audio gear does not play more than one source at a time. Mixers are intended to do exactly that, but are not generally intended for home use. Still, that is an option.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Northgun said:
I use a behringer 7 channel mixer to listen to more than one audio source at the same time through my setup. I enjoy listening music from my dune and getting the sound effects from my game at the same time. Ive also watched a movie whilr having some classical music going
Not in his intended budget either.

He needs an HDMI matrix as well.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
schan1269 said:
Not in his intended budget.
The budget is listed as not being strict above. Besides mixers can be found in a pretty wide price range and there is a large used market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks